Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2013, 08:10 AM   #1 
Atir1215

Advice ASAP Please!

Okay, so I'm fairly new at the whole Betta fish thing, but I have had Mr. Sherman Whitmore for a few months now. I have never seen Sherman flare his gills, EVER, until last night when I put him in his new tank. I had a 1 gallon tank with a plant and a hammock in his old tank, and last night I put him in a 1.5 gallon tank with a filter, an LED light (on top of the tank), and a plant and a small Buddha. As I said, he has never flared at anything, including me or his reflection before, and I know he could be flaring at his reflection, or at me, or just because he intimidated or he feels threatened. I am just wondering if I might have made a mistake by putting him in a tank with a filter and ornaments, or if he just feels like he's happy and comfortable with his new home and feels like it okay to flare now that he's in his new apartment! I just don't know what to think at this point, and any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Here's a pic of him flaring in his new tank (a little blurry).
Attached Images

Atir1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:31 AM   #2 
Myates

Most likely it's his reflection.. tank light on + room light off (room dark) = mirror effect inside the tank.

He should calm down once he realizes he is safe in his new tank.. wouldn't worry about it too much. Can try to minimize it by having a light on near his tank - lamp, something small.. but honestly, if he is just flaring I wouldn't worry about it too much. If he starts clamping his fins, not eating, losing color.. I would then look into making sure the room light is on when his tank light is on at night. But otherwise, I would just give him some time to settle in and he should be fine.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:38 AM   #3 
Atir1215

I usually have a small light on nearby, but I wanted to take a nice picture of him! I have been watching him closely, but what exactly do you mean by clamping his fins?
Old 02-04-2013, 09:36 AM   #4 
Stone

Clamping is the opposite of flaring fins all pulled in close to the body, watch for that and signs of color loss or him turning grey stress stripes and so on, most likely he is just adjusting to his new home.
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:01 PM   #5 
Atir1215

He does do that and swim really quick to the bottom and then really quick to the top, but then he's good. Does this mean he's "clamping" or is this just s thing he does? ...Sorry about all the questions I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing for Mr. Sherman and that he's healthy and happy!
Old 02-04-2013, 06:22 PM   #6 
Myates

Swimming quickly up and down they will close their fins.. clamping is clamped all the time.

Clamping =
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2013, 02:36 AM   #7 
Atir1215

I just wanted to thank you all for your help, but I think Mr. Sherman Whitmore is doing a lot better now. I was going to class last night and noticed a few bubbles around the edge of the tank. I was only gone for an hour and he had made a full blown bubble nest in the time I was gone! He is currently chilling in between his hammock and his bubble nest, so I'm guessing he's feeling a lot better about his new apartment!!
Old 02-05-2013, 08:09 AM   #8 
Myates

Good to hear :) Sometimes these fish can be a bit stressed when placed into a larger tank at first.. or a new home in general. Just need a bit of patience to let them adjust :) He will be just fine in his new home and will love exploring it!