Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2013, 12:34 PM   #1 
Shadyr

Rearranging tank = SBD?

I drew out about 1/3 of the water in the big 36G this weekend to do plant maintenance (remove dead leaves, rearrange a bit, add some new ones). I gave the girls a treat of Freeze dried mysis when I was all done.

Next day one of them was at the top with SBD symptoms. I pulled her out, put her in a QT tank with warm water and stresscoat, and fed her a soaked FD daphnia later. She looks much improved today, doesn't appear to be fighting her own bouyancy...but I'm wondering if the water change, new plants, or the mysis treat might be things known to cause SBD? (Or all three combined?) I'll put her back in the big tank tomorrow if she continues to be fine, but I'd like to avoid a repeat!
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:16 PM   #2 
Myates

Freeze dried does not expand their gut, but over feeding of poor quality food (such as freeze dried) can cause some issues similar to SBD - if she is better after a day and only clean water then it wasn't true SBD - most likely she had more than her share of the freeze dried foods.

Moving things around in the tank, water changes, can not cause SBD.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:55 AM   #3 
Shadyr

Ok, good to know. She maybe just pigged out a bit too much on the mysis from the "Dial A Treat". She was looking normal though unhappy about being in a small tank last night, but she ate her normal pellets. I guess if she's still fine this evening, I'll put her back in!
Old 02-05-2013, 09:02 AM   #4 
Myates

Yeah, if she is swimming normally, not tilting.. then she is fine :) Glad to hear it
Old 02-05-2013, 09:57 AM   #5 
Shadyr

Since the day after the changes and treat, she was on her side at the top, and basically acting like she had swallowed a bubble (was too buoyant, fighting against getting pulled up anytime she tried to swim down), that said SBD to me...does it also say "Indigestion"? (For my future knowledge...I'm getting better about not being freaked out by every little thing, but so far I've found knowledge to be the best insulation against said wigging out!)
Old 02-05-2013, 10:01 AM   #6 
Myates

Normally yes, SBD would be the first assumption (and usually correct one) with those signs. But sometimes, as you have seen, could just mean something is up with her belly.

I would keep Epsom Salts on hand - if it happens again can just set up the hospital tank with 1tsp (starting out) of plain Epsom (dissolve it first) per gallon.. daily 50-100% water changes re-dosing the Epsom each change.. along with fasting for 3 days.
If by day 5 nothing has improved can up the Epsom to 2-3tsp per gallon (no higher).

That can help whether it's SBD or food related - can help them go to the bathroom if needed.