Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-14-2013, 08:45 PM   #1 
Naladari

In the end I dont know what killed him

He puffed up to unnatural sizes, but he didnt pinecone. I was going to get antibiotics today and when I got back this evening he had died. His stomach actually exploded. Ive never heard of anything like this before and I'm looking for information.

Housing
What size is your tank? 3g
What temperature is your tank? 78(+-2)
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? No

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? BettaMin Tropical Medely
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 30% twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? See above
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Bettasafe

Water Parameters:
PH was around 6.6-6.8 so slightly acidic.

Im letting the tank continue to cycle. Should I do a full cleaning with bleach or just let it go?
His stomach was white and open 2 strands coming out of it when I fished him out it fell right off like puss.

Has anyone else known this to happen?
Naladari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:02 PM   #2 
sainthogan

You should definitely clean that tank before putting a new fish in. Yes, you'll have to start a new cycle, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

I'm sorry, but I don't know what killed your fish, but I do believe that dropsy doesn't always result in pineconing.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:03 PM   #3 
Little Leaf

Location: In the wilderness! and my house sometimes. IT'S AWESOME, RIGHT?! *Wolf howl*
His stomach exploded?! oh my goodness, i never heard of this happening. Did you see anything else besides whiteness and "open strands" and puffing?
Little Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:17 PM   #4 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

Had it been pooping regularly? Like was it constipated? Cause if it was backed up and he had some sort of bacteria inside of it that produced excess gas, it would have had nowhere to go. That's literally the only thing I can suggest... I'm really sorry for your loss. No one wants a fish to go so violently... I suggest you start a new cycle and if you haven't gotten rid of the water from his tank, take it into a pet store for full water analysis, making sure you get the numbers from them to compare to normal levels... Clean everything really well in your tank before you get a new betta and check back here with the results of the full water test. Also, I would recommend a food with less filler such as Omega One Betta Buffet. Some bettas have finicky digestive tracts and get backed up easily, so something with more protein and less fibre might be a good choice. Also, some people recommend one day of fasting your fish per week. You could give that a shot as well.

Last edited by XxxXnoodleXxxX; 02-14-2013 at 09:20 PM. Reason: added information
XxxXnoodleXxxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:13 PM   #5 
Naladari

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxxXnoodleXxxX View Post
Had it been pooping regularly? Like was it constipated? Cause if it was backed up and he had some sort of bacteria inside of it that produced excess gas, it would have had nowhere to go. That's literally the only thing I can suggest... I'm really sorry for your loss. No one wants a fish to go so violently... I suggest you start a new cycle and if you haven't gotten rid of the water from his tank, take it into a pet store for full water analysis, making sure you get the numbers from them to compare to normal levels... Clean everything really well in your tank before you get a new betta and check back here with the results of the full water test. Also, I would recommend a food with less filler such as Omega One Betta Buffet. Some bettas have finicky digestive tracts and get backed up easily, so something with more protein and less fibre might be a good choice. Also, some people recommend one day of fasting your fish per week. You could give that a shot as well.
Im going to take a water sample to the ecology lab soon to get it checked out. The filter is still running. I have replacements. My sister got a fish from the same walmart at the same time and he is doing very well.
He wasnt eating, didnt eat for 8 days.
I plan to drive out an hour to petco and try to get some new chemicals more test kits. I want to make sure everything is perfect this time. 100%.
Then Ill try with a baby or another rescue.
I got betta pellets and have disposed of the old food. I feel that It might have been part of the culprit.
If its anything that is out of the ordinary I'll make sure to make a thread about it.
Naladari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:26 PM   #6 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naladari View Post
Im going to take a water sample to the ecology lab soon to get it checked out. The filter is still running. I have replacements. My sister got a fish from the same walmart at the same time and he is doing very well.
He wasnt eating, didnt eat for 8 days.
I plan to drive out an hour to petco and try to get some new chemicals more test kits. I want to make sure everything is perfect this time. 100%.
Then Ill try with a baby or another rescue.
I got betta pellets and have disposed of the old food. I feel that It might have been part of the culprit.
If its anything that is out of the ordinary I'll make sure to make a thread about it.
Good to hear. Check the water that the poor fish died in for chemical levels (nitrites, phosphates, calcium, and the Ph levels). When a fish gets bloated the best thing to do is use unscented epsom salts (I believe it's one teaspoon per gallon, but don't hold me to that) to help clean out their system if they're constipated. Those are really the only things I can suggest, unfortunately.
XxxXnoodleXxxX is offline   Reply With Quote