Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2013, 02:12 PM   #1 
iShakes

Fin Rot?

Hi everybody, I've been reading your forum threads for about 2 weeks (when I got my betta, Peeta).

They've been very helpful so I thought I'd ask a question when I couldn't find answers elsewhere.

My dad told me recently that it looks like Peeta has fin rot. First of all I've attached a picture (I think he's right but I don't want to be throwing medication at him unless I know for sure). So let me know what you think based on the pics.

Secondly if you think he does have fin rot how should I go about treating it. I've heard moving him to a smaller tank but I've moved him twice in the past two weeks, so I don't want to stress him anymore. I've also heard I have to shut off my filter and I don't want to do that because I'm currently establishing a nitro cycle (so I'm afraid removing the carbon might send ammonia levels through the roof).

He's currently in a heated 5 gallon tank with a Whisper 10i filter. So any opinion on the possible fin rot/treatment would be greatly appreciated.

Btw I didn't do a fishless cycle first because I got him as a surprise and had to establish a suitable habitat quickly.

Thanks in advance
Ian
Attached Images

iShakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:51 PM   #2 
AyalaCookiejar

Fin rot is often treated with Aquarium Salt. You don't really have to remove him from his 5 gallon to treat him, nor do you have to remove the filter. The filter removes certain medications which is why you hear sometimes to turn it off or remove it during treatment, but AQ salt can only be removed manually through water changes. Some meds also kill off the beneficial bacteria in the filter, but not AQ salt.

Is he talking about that part on his tail that looks like it is cut straight across? I think that it's difficult to see because he isn't flaring.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:10 PM   #3 
iShakes

There is a dark patch in the back which can be kind of seen here? I think he was talking about all the white, he said that's fin rot (there does seem to be some black and brownish discoloration on this fin, but it's so small it's tough to even photograph).

I've added a photograph where it can be seen more clearly (his fin also looks like it has some small tears in it, but once again so small tough to photograph).

Is there any chance that aquarium salt could hurt him? Or should I do it just in case?

Sorry first time betta owner so I'm a little panicky.
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #4 
AyalaCookiejar

The white is his normal coloring. That black tip, however, is probably fin rot. I have dealt with fin rot once and she had some black tips on her fins and also a few holes in her tail that were black around the edges.

Sometimes fin rot can be cured with warm, clean water. It is also usually caused by bad water quality. Fish who bite their tails or injure them on decor are more susceptible to fin rot.

What size is the tank, what temp is the water and how often/how much do you change the water? What decorations do you have? Are any plants plastic?

Edit: aquarium salt should not hurt him or your cycle, provided that you use it correctly for no longer than 14 days. Most people say 10 days at the most. The AQ salt should be added slowly and Pre-dissolved (this part is very important). I have had success using AQ salt at 1/2 tsp per gallon. Most people say to start with 1tsp per gallon and use no more than 3tsps per gallon. I added AQ salt slowly and it started healing with only 1/2 tsp so I didn't increase the dosage.

Last edited by AyalaCookiejar; 02-04-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #5 
iShakes

5 Gallons, I've only had him in this tank for about 4 days (I'm checking the pH, ammonia, nitrite & nitrate everyday for now because there's no established nitro cycle). If anyone of these is off I'll change 20% but so far no large variations so no water changes (I was planning on doing a 25% change and vacuum on Wednesday anyway). I the Parthenon looking thing that can be seen in the picture, I didn't see any sharp edges and a felt type plant. The tank stays around 76-80 F.

Edit: Okay I'll give the AQ salt a shot, anything else I should do?
Old 02-04-2013, 04:21 PM   #6 
AyalaCookiejar

I would just use AQ salt. It doesn't look bad to me. The AQ salt might clear it up in a matter of days.

I think most tests on five gallon tanks reveal that ammonia shows up after about 5 days. As long as you are testing daily and doing a change any time you see ammonia/nitrites, he should be fine. Personally, I don't test for nitrates more often than once a week because it won't build up to toxic levels sooner than that. If you have a liquid test kit, the nitrate test takes the longest :p

Also, I did daily partial water changes with AQ salt. Most people will recommend you do. If you have 1tsp per gallon and you do a 20% change, you will remove 1tsp and therefore will only need to add 1tsp (does that make sense?). When you are finished with treatment, you will need some large water changes to remove the salt. Two 50% changes would still leave you with 25% of the salt left.

I have two 5 gallons myself and have done salt treatments in the whole tanks several times (with epsoms). I just take a cup of tank water, add 5tsps of salt to it, stir it up until its all dissolved and then add a little bit at a time an let the filter mix it up. Sometimes I will use a skewer to stir the water a bit.

The salt will change your pH so that's why you need to add it and remove it slowly.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:39 PM   #7 
iShakes

I do have a liquid test and the nitrate is a pain maybe I'll shift to weekly tests.

Okay I'll go get some aquarium salt and give that a shot tonight update to follow.

Thanks for the help Ayala.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:41 PM   #8 
AyalaCookiejar

You're welcome. Tell me how he does.

My girl showed QUICK improvement with AQ salt and her fin rot was much worse!
Old 02-04-2013, 05:16 PM   #9 
Hadoken Kitty

Hey! My boy has fin rot at the moment as well. AQ salt seems to be doing the trick. I moved him to a 1G, though, mainly because AQ salt doses go by 1 tsp/g, so a smaller tank is just easier to do the doses for.

This is a pretty nice tutorial for treatment:
http://bettasplendid.weebly.com/fin-rot-101.html
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:51 PM   #10 
AyalaCookiejar

The only problem with QTing them in a smaller tank is that it can be harder to heat AND you have to use something to feed the BB in the main tank if its cycled.

I have set a one gallon QT in my five gallon to heat it and dropped a few pellets in the filter to feed ammonia to the BB. I prefer only to do this with actual meds and not salt. The reason being is because my fish get depressed in the smaller amount of space. It is an option, though, if you prefer to do it that way. It's also something to keep in mind if you ever need to treat him with actual meds for something.

Some meds will hurt your cycle. Carbon in the filter will also remove most actual medications. I've switched to just using sponges in my filter for this reason, but I keep carbon cartridges on hand to remove meds and toxins if ever necessary.