Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-06-2013, 02:13 PM   #1 
MiyuMikaelson
Member
 
MiyuMikaelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Columbus, GA
And you are...?

So, I've been working on my tank getting it set up for my Betta that's coming in about 10 days. (Cherry Shrimp coming sooner. :'D ) These guys apparently decided to jump on my Wisteria plants from the local Pet Store.


Can you identify them? Will they be safe with my Shrimp & Betta? I've started accidentally turning this into a community aquarium it seems.
MiyuMikaelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:09 PM   #2 
shellieca
Member
 
shellieca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ontario, CA
the one on the left looks like a an MTS (Malaysian Trumpet Snail) great for burrowing into your substrate, the middle & the right I'm guessing are common pond snails. The pond snails will multiply like nobody business from what I understand, personally I wouldn't keep the pond snails. What size tank do you have? I had a hitchhiking MTS & I dropped him/her into my 46g, don't if he/she survived or not.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:12 PM   #3 
MiyuMikaelson
Member
 
MiyuMikaelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Columbus, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
the one on the left looks like a an MTS (Malaysian Trumpet Snail) great for burrowing into your substrate, the middle & the right I'm guessing are common pond snails. The pond snails will multiply like nobody business from what I understand, personally I wouldn't keep the pond snails. What size tank do you have? I had a hitchhiking MTS & I dropped him/her into my 46g, don't if he/she survived or not.
The multiplying like crazy is what I worry about; I only have a 5 gallon... I have two MTS's from what I've seen. I just lined those 3 up because it got all of the types in there. (Only 4 hitchhikers.)
MiyuMikaelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:55 PM   #4 
LadyVictorian
Member
 
LadyVictorian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
The middle one almost looks like a mystery snail O.o

How big, can you get a better picture? If it id an apple snail/mystery snail and you get a good enough picture I can tell you gender too. xD
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:59 PM   #5 
MiyuMikaelson
Member
 
MiyuMikaelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Columbus, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
The middle one almost looks like a mystery snail O.o

How big, can you get a better picture? If it id an apple snail/mystery snail and you get a good enough picture I can tell you gender too. xD
Just tried to nab her and she fell into a corner I can't get to. lol. I'll get one soon though! Haha.
MiyuMikaelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:06 PM   #6 
LadyVictorian
Member
 
LadyVictorian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
here are two pictures you can compare to for now.

Not sure about the darker one either but i have pond snails and they don't look like my pond snails. The longer one is MTS though.

Some apple snails


LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:21 PM   #7 
MiyuMikaelson
Member
 
MiyuMikaelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Columbus, GA

There we go. That's about as clear/good as I'm going to get. lol.
MiyuMikaelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:27 PM   #8 
LadyVictorian
Member
 
LadyVictorian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
Yeah don't think it's a mystery snail, partial good news partial bad news. They get about as big as golfballs and need larger tanks, bad news mystery snail populations are easily contorled.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:28 PM   #9 
MiyuMikaelson
Member
 
MiyuMikaelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Columbus, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
Yeah don't think it's a mystery snail, partial good news partial bad news. They get about as big as golfballs and need larger tanks, bad news mystery snail populations are easily contorled.
And with that, I'll be re-homing the two snails.
MiyuMikaelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:28 PM   #10 
LadyVictorian
Member
 
LadyVictorian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
OH maybe nerit snails :D They don't reproduce in freshwater if it is. Or at least eggs can't hatch.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.