Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2013, 10:42 PM   #11 
gargleknobs

I would recommend a new, more reliable heater (like the one that I mentioned before). A bigger tank might be nice, but I see plenty of people with fish in 1 gallons that are content. In my opinion, your focus should be stabilizing the temperature for now. In the long run, a bigger tank may be beneficial. Again, make sure to properly acclimate her to the new water temperature. Sudden changes are likely what caused this stress in the first place, you don't want to force more of them on her.
gargleknobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:50 PM   #12 
NewFish

I looked for threads about acclimating but didn't find anything. Her temp right now says 76 degrees. How do you slowly raise the temp if the heater isn't programmable? Any suggestions?
NewFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:56 PM   #13 
NewFish

Also, the heater we got is an Aqueon but it is the 10W mini heater. I got that one specifically because I was worried the 50W would make the water too hot. I can try the new heater. But she lived in this environment for weeks and seemed fine until recently. The last week she has slowly declined.
NewFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:10 PM   #14 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Sorry you having these problems with your little girl. The pellets might be to big for her so you could try spitting or crushing them up for her and see if she will eat them that way. Some fish do stress over the temp of their water so if you could get the temp somewhere in the middle range say 78 and see how she does with that. Since she is in a 1 gallon I would do two water changes a week and since you have a filter you can get by without having to do a 100 percent and do a 50 and 75 percent water change so you dont have to take her out of the tank. Best of luck I hope she starts to do and feel better soon, keep us updated .
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:10 PM   #15 
gargleknobs

When acclimating your fish, you want to float your fish in a cup of its old tank water in the new tank water. This will help with the temperature adjustment. Add a teaspoon of the new tank water to the cup every 10-15 minutes for an hour. After you've done this, you should be able to gently release your fish into the tank.

However, you don't want to increase the temperature of the water more than 1 degree with in an hour. You want to make the new tank water as close to the temperature of the old tank water as possible, and then only turn the heat up one degree every hour. If you're at 76 degrees now, you would want to do this about 4 times.

I don't know about the quality of the Aqueon mini heater, but like I said, I use the 50 watt in a 1 gallon with absolutely no problem. It is adjustable, submersible, and it has automatic shut off so that, if working properly, it will shut itself off as soon as it reaches the desired temperature and it will turn itself back on when the temperature starts to decrease (by roughly half a degree or so). This would also be a good choice for a heater because in the event that you ever upgrade to a larger tank, this heater is made to heat up to 20 gallon tanks. It also has a lifetime warranty, should it stop working by no fault of your own.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:15 PM   #16 
bettacrazygirl86

I'd definitely go for a bigger tank. Not too big, but a bit bigger. I've seen 2.5 gallon bowls at Petsmart that kinda resemble margarita glasses. They look really nice and have plenty of room. I'm not sure if your heater would fit in it, but if it can fit into a one gallon along with a filter, I'm sure it can fit into the 2.5. :) She should get better if she has a bit more room and a more stable temperature.
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:17 PM   #17 
Saphira101

In my opinion, bowls are not good for Bettas. (I could be wrong) I'd recommend a 2.5 gallon minibow, as it has a filter. (make sure to baffle it though)
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:18 PM   #18 
gargleknobs

They also make 2.5 tanks that are rectangular. I saw them at Petco for 15 bucks or so. There was definitely room for the heater and a filter in there. The 10 gallon tanks were actually cheaper, but many people can't do a 10 gallon for space reasons. They also have 5 gallons.
Really, you can find 2.5 and 5 gallon tanks at just about any pet store, and you can find even more online. If you're not picky about glass vs acrylic, your options are even greater.