Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-19-2013, 09:31 AM   #11 
jessp118

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkguy View Post
Well, then I'd let the ammonia creep up and see if it goes down on its own.

A moss ball isn't much as far as plants are concerned, but if your only inhabitant is a couple of bettas, there isn't much waste to generate ammonia. It may be that the BB/moss ball is gobbling up the little bit of ammonia/nitrite, and then the moss ball is cleaning up the nitrate and keeping it at 0. You won't know unless you let the ammonia drop on its own without a water change.
Ok I will keep an eye on the levels. The ammonia does get to .25 ppm in a week with out changing the water. I will let it go a little higher, but no higher then .5 ppm.
jessp118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:39 AM   #12 
tekkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessp118 View Post
Ok I will keep an eye on the levels. The ammonia does get to .25 ppm in a week with out changing the water. I will let it go a little higher, but no higher then .5 ppm.
If it takes a week to get to .25, I'd also be interested to see how long it takes it to start dropping (or rise close to .5). And I agree ... don't let it go above .5. However, you might consider if it gets around .5 to just do a partial (up to 50%) change to bring it back to .25. If your cycle did stall and/or crash, keeping it at .25 is relatively safe and will at least get the cycle started again.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:09 AM   #13 
jessp118

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkguy View Post
If it takes a week to get to .25, I'd also be interested to see how long it takes it to start dropping (or rise close to .5). And I agree ... don't let it go above .5. However, you might consider if it gets around .5 to just do a partial (up to 50%) change to bring it back to .25. If your cycle did stall and/or crash, keeping it at .25 is relatively safe and will at least get the cycle started again.
I've only been doing a 20% change when I need to change the water. I think that it might have crashed last week. We had a huge snow storm that left us with out power for 3 days. We had a generator so I could keep the heater and air stone going. The filter was off the whole time.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:30 AM   #14 
tekkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessp118 View Post
I've only been doing a 20% change when I need to change the water. I think that it might have crashed last week. We had a huge snow storm that left us with out power for 3 days. We had a generator so I could keep the heater and air stone going. The filter was off the whole time.
As long as the filter stayed wet, that shouldn't cause you to crash. I'd be concerned if it was longer, or if there was no water movement at all, etc, but otherwise you're probably good at a couple of days.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:26 AM   #15 
jessp118

Just tested again today. everything is at zero. Last water change was well over a week ago.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:49 AM   #16 
sparkyjoe

The only thing I can add is to make sure you shake the dickens out of those niTRATE bottles. I've heard of false readings due to the reagents in those bottles settling and being very difficult to get mixed back into solution.
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:12 AM   #17 
shellieca
Reference Team

With the ammonia test make sure you're looking at it under a bright light with the tube on the white part of the card. Personally I'm not sure you're seeing .25 ammonia. I know my ammo test never changes color & never seems to be as bright yellow as the card shows unless I stand directly under my light with the tube against the white of the card. All of my tanks show the exact same color which to me looks tinged green in certain lighting but not quite .25. My nitrite is blue as blue can be & nitrates will vary its just the stupid ammo color that gives me problems. Just a thought. Oh, it took 6 wks for nitrites to show up during my 10g fish IN cycle.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:29 PM   #18 
jessp118

I will re test again in a few minutes. I'll make sure to shake up those bottles this time.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:35 PM   #19 
jessp118

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyjoe View Post
The only thing I can add is to make sure you shake the dickens out of those niTRATE bottles. I've heard of false readings due to the reagents in those bottles settling and being very difficult to get mixed back into solution.
Just did the test again after i shook the bottles for a good 5 mins each. Comes up with 0 on everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
With the ammonia test make sure you're looking at it under a bright light with the tube on the white part of the card. Personally I'm not sure you're seeing .25 ammonia. I know my ammo test never changes color & never seems to be as bright yellow as the card shows unless I stand directly under my light with the tube against the white of the card. All of my tanks show the exact same color which to me looks tinged green in certain lighting but not quite .25. My nitrite is blue as blue can be & nitrates will vary its just the stupid ammo color that gives me problems. Just a thought. Oh, it took 6 wks for nitrites to show up during my 10g fish IN cycle.
I know I saw 0.25 ammonia before because it was yellow with a little green. I always look at it under the same light. It may be just about 6 weeks now.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:48 PM   #20 
sparkyjoe

Hmmm... not sure what's going on.
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote