Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2013, 02:24 AM   #1 
NuocCam

Too much fish and shrimp?

Hi,

I was planning on adding probably about 5-10 red cherry shrimp and have a java moss grow in a corner/wall in my 10-gallon tank (picture below).

So far I have...

2 - panda cories
2 - pepper cories
2 - green cories
4 - ghost shrimp
10 - white cloud minnows
1 - halfmoon betta

And for plants...
1 - Anubias (not sure which one)
3 - small Java fern
2 - Medium Java fern lace
5 - Moneywort sticks (have 3 more in a breeder tank, will bring them in to main tank later)

I will probably grow a java moss first, before adding the cherry shrimp in. I am aware of the ghost shrimp that may hurt them, and betta snacking of them also. So far... my betta hasn't eaten any ghost shrimp in the 10-gallon (though he did enjoy snacking on them in his 3-gallon before).

Reason for getting some cherry shrimp is because of algae build-up, and i was hoping the ghost shrimp and cories would snack on them.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Can you spot my betta? =D
NuocCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:14 AM   #2 
NuocCam

I also have a marimo moss ball that was broken up on the bottom left. (I also have another one that was broken in half in my breeder tank, which I will add later on)
Old 02-04-2013, 07:46 AM   #3 
polukoff

Male betta make a bad addition to a community tank, I'd do female only. Looks like the other fish have been biting his fins or maybe he bit them himself.

Not too many fish, just 1 too many male betta.
polukoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:31 PM   #4 
NuocCam

Quote:
Originally Posted by polukoff View Post
Male betta make a bad addition to a community tank, I'd do female only. Looks like the other fish have been biting his fins or maybe he bit them himself.

Not too many fish, just 1 too many male betta.
First, Thanks for your response.

But... I recently just got 10-gallon as a gift, and he had his fin damaged from the fake plant I had that I took out once I got the tank. Plus when I got the cloud minnows, they were all very small and mostly afraid of him at first.

Most I've seen my betta do to Any fish is flare at them, or at most steal their food.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:55 PM   #5 
tekkguy

The Cherry Shrimp would not be a good choice to control an algae problem. Your problem with the algae is likely caused by nutrients.

I would add additional plants (especially "hungry" stem plants) or a nerite snail or two. If you are going to add Cherries, you need much, much more cover for them than you have now.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:22 PM   #6 
aemaki09

your tank is way over stocked as is 17 fish (not to mention shrimp) in a 10 gallon is way too many. I would purchase another tank, move half your fish from this tank to the other, and forget about the shrimp completely unless you purchase something larger than a 10. You would need atleast a 20, preferably 26-30 to keep all these guys happy and healthy. Right now with your current stocking level youd need to be doing at absolute minimum 2 50% changes in your tank per week
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:49 PM   #7 
NuocCam

Thank you for Both of your responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkguy View Post
The Cherry Shrimp would not be a good choice to control an algae problem. Your problem with the algae is likely caused by nutrients.

I would add additional plants (especially "hungry" stem plants) or a nerite snail or two. If you are going to add Cherries, you need much, much more cover for them than you have now.

True to the cherries with cover, and that is why I would wait awhile until my java moss grew largely (which I just got one and 2 nerite snails). And.. I probably won't be getting any cherries for awhile then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
your tank is way over stocked as is 17 fish (not to mention shrimp) in a 10 gallon is way too many. I would purchase another tank, move half your fish from this tank to the other, and forget about the shrimp completely unless you purchase something larger than a 10. You would need atleast a 20, preferably 26-30 to keep all these guys happy and healthy. Right now with your current stocking level youd need to be doing at absolute minimum 2 50% changes in your tank per week

I am aware that I have a lot of fish, but I assume that if the cories are relaxing at the bottom often and the minnows at the top, they'd have their "space". And as for the betta... Well, he goes where ever he pleases.

Unless we talk about bioload, then I agree that I have a lot of fish.

I would like to purchase another tank, but I wouldn't have the funds and room at this moment to have 3 tanks running. I'm just using my old 3 gallon tank as a breeding tank for now. After 2 years, I will probably get a 30+ gallon.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #8 
Bombalurina

Adding things really won't help - the cherry shrimp aren't amazing algae eaters, and adding more to your bioload is just going to cause more algae. Is it possible for you to rehome some of your fish, or trade them with someone so that you have proper schools of cories? :) For now, definitely don't add more fish/shrimp/anything. Plants, go nuts with, but not more critters.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:49 PM   #9 
NuocCam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Adding things really won't help - the cherry shrimp aren't amazing algae eaters, and adding more to your bioload is just going to cause more algae. Is it possible for you to rehome some of your fish, or trade them with someone so that you have proper schools of cories? :) For now, definitely don't add more fish/shrimp/anything. Plants, go nuts with, but not more critters.
Thank you for your response.

I would hate to rehome them, since they could have "gotten along" with one another and I've grown an attachment. =(. I had originally 5 minnows and they were really tiny, so I decided to buy 5 more... I didn't think they grow that fast (plus cost me $1 for 5). My cories seem to get along well together, sometimes they go with their pair. Raising four 2-3 week old cories, and had 5 that just hatched yesterday in another tank.

I would give some of my minnows to my relative, but he has my old 2.5 gallon tank that houses a vt betta with 2 shrimp. If he upgraded to a 10-gallon, I'd be happy to give him 5 minnows and the cories i'm raising.

Most likely I won't get any more fish/shrimp or plants for awhile.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:00 AM   #10 
Bombalurina

Coo. :) Just a note for future: although cories will school with other types (e.g. bronze will school with peppered) they are happier in groups of their own kind. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote