Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2013, 02:46 PM   #1 
kulain

automatic fish feeder advice

So I will be going on vacation for a week or two with family so there will be no one to take care of my bettas... I tried using one of those auto fish food dispensers but it dumps out a huge amount of pellets - I usually feed them 5 (the new life spectrum) twice a day.

My question is: do you guys know of a good automatic fish feeder that doses small amounts of foods?
kulain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Don't use an auto feeder the chance of malfunction is too great & you run too high a risk of bad water quality since you won't be able to do a water for 2 wks. My advice, feed them a little extra leading up to your being gone, do a really good water change & let them be for the 2 wks. If your fish are healthy there is no reason they can't go 2 wks without eating. Do a water change immediately upon returning & feed them.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:30 PM   #3 
homegrown terror

what she said.

auto feeders and "weekender" tablets are just asking for trouble. the tablets especially dissolve much faster than they're designed to and ruin your water quality faster than anything aside from goldfish poo.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:07 AM   #4 
kulain

ok

Thanks! I will do that.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:23 AM   #5 
Myates

When you do return - don't do a large water change right away.. detrimental as the new chemistry can cause shock. Rather best to do a couple smaller ones - 25% when you return and then a day or two later another 25%.. after that can return to your normal schedule.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:10 PM   #6 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown terror View Post
what she said.

auto feeders and "weekender" tablets are just asking for trouble. the tablets especially dissolve much faster than they're designed to and ruin your water quality faster than anything aside from goldfish poo.
+1, my Fred got fin rot just having the feeder in the tank for 4 days in the 1g hex.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:47 PM   #7 
kulain

thanks Myates! I will do that. Both tanks are planted so hopefully it won't be too bad.

Yeah those melt in the water tablets always looked dubious to me. But I thought there might be a mechanical device that dispensed 5 pellets at a time, like a clockwork :X
Old 02-05-2013, 04:36 PM   #8 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulain View Post
thanks Myates! I will do that. Both tanks are planted so hopefully it won't be too bad.

Yeah those melt in the water tablets always looked dubious to me. But I thought there might be a mechanical device that dispensed 5 pellets at a time, like a clockwork :X
haha the only such "device" i'd trust is a fish-sitter
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote