Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2013, 11:24 PM   #1 
bettacrazygirl86

Should I get this heater?

I have a plastic 4 gallon drum bowl that my betta Patriot is in right now. The heater I'm using at the moment is a preset 2-15 gallon heater from Walmart. In general, it sucks. It keeps his tank at about 76 degrees F, and that's with the desk lap and space heater near the bowl.

I wasn't able to afford an adjustable heater at the time I got Patriot, and I figured that the heater would work fine in his 4 gallon. But, it's just too low, I think. I'd rather get an adjustable one.

Is this one okay? I'd buy it in the store, so I can make sure it'll actually fit in the tank, but is it okay to heat a plastic 4 gallon, do you think? What wattage should I get?
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:08 AM   #2 
aemaki09

25 watt would be perfect. I use one in one of my 10 gallons and its a great little heater, have had much less problems with it than any of my other heaters (except my hydor theo's).
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:25 AM   #3 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
25 watt would be perfect. I use one in one of my 10 gallons and its a great little heater, have had much less problems with it than any of my other heaters (except my hydor theo's).
Awesome! So I should definitely get a 25 watt adjustable heater? It won't mess up the bowl, will it? It's plastic, so I'm afraid it might melt or something...
Old 02-05-2013, 01:50 AM   #4 
aemaki09

No it shouldn't, heaters don't really get hot enough to melt plastic, if they did they would burn the fish too.
But yeah go for 25w unless you plan to upgrade to anything in the 5-10 gallon range in the near future, then I'd go for a 50w just so I wouldn't have to buy a new one.
Also, heaters aren't 100% accurate, so make sure you invest in a class thermometer. -the in tank kind, not the sticker ones--
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:53 AM   #5 
Fishybitty

I just got that heater, I like it. It maintains well. I think some people just got duds. Mine is a 50 watt. I don't know how big the 25watt is but the 50watt is quite big lol. I wish the temperature gauge was easier to see but it works well. Good luck!
Fishybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:19 PM   #6 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
No it shouldn't, heaters don't really get hot enough to melt plastic, if they did they would burn the fish too.
But yeah go for 25w unless you plan to upgrade to anything in the 5-10 gallon range in the near future, then I'd go for a 50w just so I wouldn't have to buy a new one.
Also, heaters aren't 100% accurate, so make sure you invest in a class thermometer. -the in tank kind, not the sticker ones--
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishybitty View Post
I just got that heater, I like it. It maintains well. I think some people just got duds. Mine is a 50 watt. I don't know how big the 25watt is but the 50watt is quite big lol. I wish the temperature gauge was easier to see but it works well. Good luck!
I don't think I will upgrade. I really like this bowl, and he seems perfectly content in it too, aside from being a little chilly. I'm running out to the LFS later, so I can pick up the heater and maybe a ghost shrimp. :) I'm thinking about getting a 2.5 gallon tank and a little female, since I have some gravel and the old heater. I dunno. We'll see.

I'm glad that this particular heater is good though. I don't know if I'll get this one, though. I just wanted to know what wattage I should get, really. If I find this one and it'll fit in the tank, I'll get it. :) Thanks, guys.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:49 PM   #7 
bamsuddenimpact

Try the Elite minis- I love them :)
bamsuddenimpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:30 PM   #8 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamsuddenimpact View Post
Try the Elite minis- I love them :)
I didn't see any. :( The only 25 watt heater I saw was the one I got and mentioned in the first post.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:23 PM   #9 
bamsuddenimpact

If you are up for using Amazon- its like 13-14 after shipping :) Elite Mini Submersible Heater- I have both the 25w and 50w
bamsuddenimpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:45 PM   #10 
cliffordsmom

I use this Aqueon 25W in my 5g, and it works wonderfully. The only problems I've had is when my roommate leaves our window open (in the winter -.-), and then sometimes the temperature in the tank will get a little lower. Otherwise, I totally recommend!
cliffordsmom is offline   Reply With Quote