Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-05-2013, 12:16 PM   #1 
HopeFaithDesire

what did i do wrong?

so i was feeling bad for my fish Caspian because he was in one of those 2.5ml tank from pet smart for about 3 months now. with no heating which made me worried since my house is cold because it is winter. so i went to a friend who had a 8.5 gallon tank, and got a lid, a heater, some hiding places, and rocks, and cleaned them all and put them in the tank, and also got another fish since i loved having Caspian so much. don't worry they were in separate tanks..and i did wait 24hrs like i should, and just put my fish in it yesterday. i do admit i should have gone slower with the process of getting him used to it. but as my mom rushed me, and told me to just put him in i did, and went back to my school work as i am home schooled. i did continue to check him and he seemed fine and was swimming. but once it got a little later in the day i noticed he looked tired, and decided to get a divider today so he could share a tank with his brother, and wouldn't get tired from all the swimming, and was gonna get a filter soon once i looked on her to figure which one to get. but then again when i checked on him before i went to bed i noticed he was at the bottom of the tank. he was still alive moved when he noticed me, but it seemed odd it kind looked like he was sleeping, but still rang alarms in my head like do they normally stay that still? did i do something wrong? is he tired? is he sick? but then i asked my sister she insisted that he was propyl just sleeping since his gills were moving, and he reacted when he saw me so i went to bed. so i did, and about a hour ago i went to feed them both, and my heart skipped a beat when i noticed Caspian lying in the same place when i went to bed upside down, motionless. i am so bother by this i am new to this but had been doing resurch and was getting him a good tank and friends. i am defently scared for my other fish, aeris and will not put him in the big tank and keep him in his small tank. but i feel as if i just messed up big time since one of my fishes is dead now. i mean i can not believe i didnt slowly move him into the tank to get him used to it. was i suppose to leave the top open. i mean i couldn't since i have cats. did i need a filter before i did anything? should i of had more stuff in the tank? should i have scrubbed the stuff better? uh its so upsetting i was really begging to get attacked to him.......well now i am gonna empty the tank later today. but i feel like a faliure, and like i just wasted my moms money. i need advice on what i did wrong, and what i can do to prevent this with my other fish.
HopeFaithDesire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:50 PM   #2 
AyalaCookiejar

You probably didn't acclimate him properly.

How did you clean the tank?
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:10 PM   #3 
HopeFaithDesire

i scrubbed the tank with soap, and rinsed it several times. then rinsed the the rocks, and toys. since i had learned that it is important to do so as some things on it could be unsanitary.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:20 PM   #4 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopeFaithDesire View Post
i scrubbed the tank with soap, and rinsed it several times. then rinsed the the rocks, and toys. since i had learned that it is important to do so as some things on it could be unsanitary.
100% water change immediately
and rinse with warm water many many times.

the soap leftover is affecting him. Anytime he stays there motionless too long, it is a bad sign. FYI, even though I did not clean my tank with soap and water, my Fred was motionless at the bottom of the tank for 2 days and he died on me. He probably had Swim Bladder Disease and some bacterial infection without the bloating symptoms.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:28 PM   #5 
AyalaCookiejar

Soap residue is not easy to get rid of. I don't use ANYTHING for my fish that has come in contact with soap. Even towels I wash without soap...

Bleach and vinegar can safely be used to clean tanks. He's probably been poisoned by the leftover soap residue. I'm not sure if you can remove soap residue because I've never had to...
Old 02-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #6 
waterdog

Sounds like a combination of shock from the temp change and perhaps residue from the soap. Most of us clean used equipment with either a vineger/water or bleach/water solution. You might consider recleaning the tank, rinse well, refill and let new fish float in the tank for 30 minutes before putting them in.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:41 PM   #7 
HopeFaithDesire

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
Bleach and vinegar can safely be used to clean tanks. He's probably been poisoned by the leftover soap residue. I'm not sure if you can remove soap residue because I've never had to...
okay thanks. ill be sure to clean my other fishes tank as you suggested. my mistake i honestly thought if i washed it out several times it would remove the soap complelty....what type of vinegar, and bleach really? you would think that would leave more of residue or something.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #8 
HopeFaithDesire

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdog View Post
Sounds like a combination of shock from the temp change and perhaps residue from the soap. Most of us clean used equipment with either a vineger/water or bleach/water solution. You might consider recleaning the tank, rinse well, refill and let new fish float in the tank for 30 minutes before putting them in.
thanks. i agree with you. i think my mistake was not allowing him to slowly get used to it, and maybe the mistake of using soap thinking if i rinsed it it would be okay.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:52 PM   #9 
AyalaCookiejar

Bleach and vinegar are two of the safest things you can use... You can rinse out bleach and allow it to air dry or sit in the sun to get rid of it.

Tags
bad owner, fish dead, help confused