Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Show Bettas
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2013, 01:12 AM   #1 
LadyVictorian

Fancies

What are fancies exactly? When I see them they are always different things, some look like Koi, some are marbles, and some just look like bi-colored or multicolored fish with bad washes. Is it the type of scales or pattern they show that tells they are a fancy or do people just throw it around to make their fish seem more special?
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:46 AM   #2 
aemaki09

According to a person I was talking to recently, who is a long time IBC member, Fancies are really only just bad marbles. *bad according to IBC standards for marbles*
It's not a technical term, and a lot of people are throwing everything that doesnt fit under solid, multi, or bi color perfetly into that category now. SO many fish that dont look "fancy" in any way shape or form, just some bad wash, are being sold under that description now, which I'm not a fan of.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:52 AM   #3 
LadyVictorian

I figured it was something like that. xD since most of the fish listed as fancy looked like something else like marbles, Koi's, even a bi-colored with bad wash and all patchy I wasn't too keen about.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:08 AM   #4 
aemaki09

Haha yeah, all they are, is some type of marble, or have bad wash. Great to look at, but apparently not really show quality. I love them though! Have you seen the new "tigers" they have out? All they are is a marble, not even any stripes, but called a tiger haha (absolutely gorgeous though! I hope to own one soon!)
Old 02-04-2013, 02:19 AM   #5 
LadyVictorian

I haven't seen the tigers but then again I mostly am looking at HMPK on Aquabid and searching for either marbles or whites most of the time >.<

Note to self, avoid all fish with Fancy in it's title.

Do you know if you get a fancy is it more so a genetic thing you have to breed out or just that fish in the spawn had a bad color patterns but it's siblings might have been better marbles? I have been hunting for marble females for my boy and I can't seem to find any that are NOT fancy. T.T
Old 02-04-2013, 02:36 AM   #6 
Hadoken Kitty

Honestly, it sounds like someone doesn't know how to name a color pattern, or is too ashamed to say it's real one, so they slap on the term "fancy".
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:09 AM   #7 
logisticsguy

I dunno for sure. I was told by a Thai breeder last year it was used as a term for Betta with 3 plus colors. My Fancy betta are no fancier than any other Betta, but the goal was to breed multi color genetics together with multi marbles in experiment and not to offend.

Last edited by logisticsguy; 02-04-2013 at 03:12 AM.
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:19 AM   #8 
Hadoken Kitty

I most definitely should have said I was only joking with my statement. I sounded really snarky in that last comment.

How would they offend, though?
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:23 AM   #9 
logisticsguy

Oh its Ok! Im glad your not offended im not, There are so many terms used in the betta world Im still trying to get my head around it all.
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:23 AM   #10 
aemaki09

Hmm, to answer an earlier question:
I think that it could very easily be just that particular fish, I'm sure that a lot in a fancyxfancy spawn would have the parents colors, but not in the same way the parent had.

Like with the tiger I was looking at, which is a "fancy", he was mostly white but had grey and blue all over his body, and a sibling female I was going to get was pure white with grey and blue in a BF pattern meaning she would have been a decent show quality fish (IMO)