Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #21 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Waterdog, I'm fairly sure Bethy's comment was aimed at petshops, not you. Chill. 8D

As Bethy said, the majority of BB is in the filter, so a tank may experience a mini-cycle when it is removed or changed. Always a good idea to seed the new filter media in the tank first. You may not notice any ill effects, but there is probably a little surge in ammonia and nitrite levels which will calm down quickly. :)
Oh that explains my spikes in nitrites and nitrates in the last two days after i changed the carbon bag....i did not know i have to seed it first
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:38 PM   #22 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Oh boy back to being confused again...lol It seems to make sense that if you dont replace now and then they might leek bad things bad into the water, I took mine out today and put it over a clear cup and poured conditioned water over it and shook it out many times and yes the water that came out was very dirty so I kept doing this till the water started o become clear again. I really want to replace is very soon so I was thinking you could cut off the blue part of the filter and put it on top of the new one using a rubberband so you would still have the BB that is on it and it would spread to the new one.

Talk of a mini cycle is scary and this is my first tank and fish ever so I am still learning and willing to learn all I need to know to keep Perseus safe thats why I use Prime and have some live plants also. I think everyones input is welcome and then we can try to put it all together for ourselves and as to what makes the most common sense so keep sharing your experience ....Thanks !!!
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
filter carbon