Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2013, 01:16 PM   #1 
Kithy

Biting fins

Alacrity decided to bite a few bits out of his fin today/lastnight. Not sure why though. The only change has been that I took the mystery snail out of his tank because I thought it was dead. When I determined it was still alive I moved it to another tank because I wanted to see if maybe he still had his antennae and eyeballs <_<

Could this be related? Tank parameters are perfectly fine. Ammonia and Nitrites both 0. Tank is cycled.

Housing
What size is your tank? 10
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Until lastnight a mystery snail. Took the snail out because I suspect he may have been assaulted by the betta. Snail is under observation until I see his eyes.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? NLS betta pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 pellets in the AM, 3-4 at night. Skip one day.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Obvious biting in fins
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? None
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Nothing yet
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? Probably 5 months? Maybe a bit older.

Setup. All plants are silk. I found one sharp bit on the pagoda so I took it out and spent nearly an hour filing it down then rinsed it in treated water before putting in back in. That was maybe two weeks ago? There is a random moss/algae ball thing in there.

Good picture of the marks that concern me. No black stuff or anything so I'm fairly certain the shape of the marks indicate biting.

Was a quick shot of him flaring for me to see the extent.

The shadows are kind of funny but that's the ammonia and nitrITEs right now.

I only had him flaring for like, 30 seconds so I could get a good picture of the damage.

Sooo should I let it be and continue to watch over him? Is this likely the result of me removing his buddy snail?
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:30 PM   #2 
Kithy

Went ahead and testing the nitrATEs and look to be between 0 and 5, closer to 0.

About to head up to the petco and get a sponge filter for the out flow because even with my baffling the flow is still too strong for a bubble nest (he's been trying though!!) so going to eliminate that as an issue. Although up till now he's never had any real issues like this, just one little split.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:05 PM   #3 
Kithy

So today it was a bit worse. Going to up changes to 50% twice a week and add in 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt (that's what the directions said anyway). Oy >_< Haven't put the snail back in yet.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:23 PM   #4 
Kithy

Upped the heater to about 82-84ish. Going to watch though since I'm not sure how well that will work. Gonna upload pics in a sec :X
Old 02-05-2013, 03:34 PM   #5 
Kithy

I did take the moss ball thing out of the tank. After finally getting the outflow form the filter to nearly no surface disruption I noticed a weird cloudiness just on top of the water. I am assuming this was the ball.

seems quite normal aside from the damage. Flirting and everything.

Sorry it's cloudy. Took it right after I did a 50% change :X

I don't see any black but he's red so it's hard to tell >.<

So that's about all. Anyone know if I'm doing this all right? I've read a lot of other posts about dealing with this stuff but it's always nice to reaffirm by someone more experienced you're not messing up.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:52 PM   #6 
Krys

You seem to be doing just fine.
Sometimes bettas just bite their fins, like we bite our nails. He could have gotten a bit of anxiety from something. As long as he seems to have stopped, he should be alright.
Krys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:49 PM   #7 
Kithy

So today he looks better. Acting normal as always. I see new growth on the fins so I'm happy. He even built me a bubble next which he hasn't done since I got him ^_^

Question though. Saturday is when I planned to do a water change. I usually only do 50% but since I added salt and plan to add more until his fins are healed am I okay to only do 50%? Not sure how to do that in the 10gallon.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:32 PM   #8 
Krys

You can do a 50% water change, just only add maybe 1/4th of the salt you would otherwise add. Remember salt doesn't evaporate, it stays in the water, so as water from the tank evaporates, the salt that was in the water, is still there. Even with a water change, some water has evaporated.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:05 PM   #9 
Kithy

Alrighty ^_^ Thank you very much!
Old 02-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #10 
Krys

And remember, no longer than 10 days with salt. after that, 100% water change and lay off the salt until something else happens.