Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-05-2013, 12:01 PM   #1 
MiyuMikaelson

How often will I need to change the water?

I have a 5 gallon with quite a bit of Wisteria, a small Bacopa and a Marimo Moss ball. It has a heater, low wattage light and a filter. It's my first tank and I want to make sure I give my Betta the most relaxing and happy life he can have.
MiyuMikaelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:29 PM   #2 
Myates

Since it has live plants you can get away with a bit less... weekly 25-35% water changes (dose conditioner for full volume of tank), siphoning out the substrate 1-2 times a month. The plants will keep the water cleaner so don't need to do as big of a % water change.. and the plants will use the fish waste/food as fertilizer, so don't need to siphon weekly.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #3 
shellieca
Reference Team

In my all of my tanks, including my 5.5, I do weekly 50% water changes & since I use buckets I dose conditioner for the volume of water in the bucket.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:51 PM   #4 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Since it has live plants you can get away with a bit less... weekly 25-35% water changes (dose conditioner for full volume of tank), siphoning out the substrate 1-2 times a month. The plants will keep the water cleaner so don't need to do as big of a % water change.. and the plants will use the fish waste/food as fertilizer, so don't need to siphon weekly.
Hi,
Did you mean that if I have to do a 40% (=2g) WC for a 5g tank, I will still need to dose the 2g with Prime or Stress Coat+ as if I was doing it for 5g?
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:41 PM   #5 
waterdog

If you have a filter and your tank is cycled, 50% water change a week will do great. Can't tell you about the dosing as I use RO water and do not need chemicals.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:49 PM   #6 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Prime only lasts for 48 hours so after that you need to add more for the whole tank. Like with my 5 gallon after 48 hours I will add 10 drops of Prime in some water and add to the tank to treat the entire tank. I have live plants too with a cycled tank and do a once a week 50 percent water change.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #7 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseusmom View Post
Prime only lasts for 48 hours so after that you need to add more for the whole tank. Like with my 5 gallon after 48 hours I will add 10 drops of Prime in some water and add to the tank to treat the entire tank. I have live plants too with a cycled tank and do a once a week 50 percent water change.
If your tank is properly cycled there is no need to add Prime other than to new water for a water change or when adding water to top off the tank. In a properly cycled tank there won't be any ammonia or nitrItes & the Prime will be used to make the new water safe by dechorinating it, removing heavy metals, or possibly detoxing the taps ammonia, nitrites or nitrates.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote