Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-05-2013, 12:22 PM   #1 
HopeFaithDesire

Need help

so i was feeling bad for my fish Caspian because he was in one of those 2.5ml tank from pet smart for about 3 months now. with no heating which made me worried since my house is cold because it is winter. so i went to a friend who had a 8.5 gallon tank, and got a lid, a heater, some hiding places, and rocks, and cleaned them all and put them in the tank, and also got another fish since i loved having Caspian so much. don't worry they were in separate tanks..and i did wait 24hrs like i should, and just put my fish in it yesterday. i do admit i should have gone slower with the process of getting him used to it. but as my mom rushed me, and told me to just put him in i did, and went back to my school work as i am home schooled. i did continue to check him and he seemed fine and was swimming. but once it got a little later in the day i noticed he looked tired, and decided to get a divider today so he could share a tank with his brother, and wouldn't get tired from all the swimming, and was gonna get a filter soon once i looked on her to figure which one to get. but then again when i checked on him before i went to bed i noticed he was at the bottom of the tank. he was still alive moved when he noticed me, but it seemed odd it kind looked like he was sleeping, but still rang alarms in my head like do they normally stay that still? did i do something wrong? is he tired? is he sick? but then i asked my sister she insisted that he was propyl just sleeping since his gills were moving, and he reacted when he saw me so i went to bed. so i did, and about a hour ago i went to feed them both, and my heart skipped a beat when i noticed Caspian lying in the same place when i went to bed upside down, motionless. i am so bother by this i am new to this but had been doing resurch and was getting him a good tank and friends. i am defently scared for my other fish, aeris and will not put him in the big tank and keep him in his small tank. but i feel as if i just messed up big time since one of my fishes is dead now. i mean i can not believe i didnt slowly move him into the tank to get him used to it. was i suppose to leave the top open. i mean i couldn't since i have cats. did i need a filter before i did anything? should i of had more stuff in the tank? should i have scrubbed the stuff better? uh its so upsetting i was really begging to get attacked to him.......well now i am gonna empty the tank later today. but i feel like a faliure, and like i just wasted my moms money. i need advice on what i did wrong, and what i can do to prevent this with my other fish.
HopeFaithDesire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:42 PM   #2 
itsuki

to get a better idea of what could be wrong fill this out but honestly a water change can likely help maybe a 25 or 50% change but im no expert

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
itsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:45 AM   #3 
mushumouse

maybe you just didn't list it, but it sounds like you don't have a thermometer in there with the heater? i think a thermometer is pretty important, since from what i've read here it seems like fish can get stressed out or go into shock if there's a temperature change of more than a couple degrees over a couple hours so you have to really watch it when dropping a fish into a heated tank after a non-heated tank... you have to change the temperature of the water they're in really really slowly. if that's not it i don't know what happened, unless maybe you cleaned the new things you put in the tank with soap or detergent? sorry about your fish. :(
mushumouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:19 PM   #4 
sainthogan

not acclimating them properly to a new tank - especially when he's been in an unheated tank, to a heated tank - can and will kill a fish. When I moved my female to her new tank, I acclimated her slowly to her new water, when I was satisfied she was going to be ok with the new water - I released her in the tank, THEN I turned on the heater. That way she went from the same temp as her old tank, which was room temperature, then SLOWLY warmed up with the water in her new tank.
It is recommended that you change the temperature by 1 degree every hour and no more than 5 hours a day. So if you're going from 70 degrees to 79 degrees, it should take you 2 days to get to the higher temperature - anything faster than that can be fatal - as is probably the case with your fish.

Of course, this is no reason to give up - we all have learned very hard lessons when it comes to taking care of these very unique fish. But we learn from our mistakes, and go on to become better care takers for these wonderful little fish.

Last edited by sainthogan; 02-06-2013 at 08:24 PM.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote