Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-05-2013, 01:27 PM   #1 
AyalaCookiejar

Moving tanks...

I am going to move all four of my tanks to my house which is like three blocks away.

For the heaters, do I need to wait a bit after unplugging them to remove them from the water?

Also, is it okay to leave the decor in the tanks when I move them? I have an acrylic four gallon, and 2 glass five gallons and one glass ten gallon. I really don't want to break everything completely down. If I have to put the filters in a separate container to keep them wet, I want separate clean containers for each because I don't want to spread things from one tank to another...
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:52 PM   #2 
waterdog

Wait at least 10 minutes after unplugging before removing heaters so the sudden temp change doesn't affect them.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:47 PM   #3 
babybetta

I unfortunately have been moving alot lately what I do is drain the tanks down to about an inch or 2 putting as much of the water in the buckets for fish as I can then place the filter media in the couple inches left in the tank set aside the filter then lay any all decorations on there side in the middle of the tank squish it in the rocks a little to keep it from moving to much then move everything usly one tank at a time so I can keep more old water fill up some new treated water enof to allow my fish to swim into the tank put everything back the way I want it then scoop the fish in and carefully add the old water back in top off with fresh if needed and hook it all back up again oh and after the heater cools I remove that as well
babybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #4 
AyalaCookiejar

Thanks. I have read that the seals can break and crack with uneven pressure if you leave too much weight in them but the largest tank I have is a ten gallon... It's used, though, and its pretty old, I think. My five gallons are no more than 3 months old. I have also never moved any of my heaters before.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:18 PM   #5 
babybetta

yes it can I wouldnt do it to anything bigger them my 20 just set your filter and heater off to the side somewhere safe the water is just to keep your gravel plants and filter media wet so the plants and bacteria dont die
babybetta is offline   Reply With Quote