Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-05-2013, 03:26 PM   #11 
babybetta

I dont know about the LEDs I tryed to find info on them but I cant or Im just not looking right its the standered ones in the walmart 5 gallon LED kit I suspect they are not that good wich is why I placed it where it could get a little sun light to help its maybe 6 or 7 feet from the window also I over stocked the snails a bit so as to give it a good bio load they will be moved in a day or 2 I think does anyone know if they eat ramshorns I really like mine and the tank they will be moved to has only a few as mine dont seem to multiply that fast
babybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:06 PM   #12 
babybetta

also Im not getting the answer on how long till it might be safe for the little one I dont want to put it in to soon
Old 02-05-2013, 04:17 PM   #13 
AyalaCookiejar

The live plants should take care of ammonia, then, but I would remove the snails before putting the Betta in to prevent a heavy bio load and then do 2 weekly changes until you can get a test kit.

You can try getting a fluorescent light to place near the tank, too. I know those LED lights from Walmart will NOT work for live plants. They are way too small.

Edit: also if you start noticing plants dying, it will cause an ammonia spike. Making sure those plants are healthy and growing well is a good idea before adding the fish.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:23 PM   #14 
babybetta

so any recommendations?
Old 02-06-2013, 10:58 AM   #15 
babybetta

took out all but one snail and put old filter media behind the new
Old 02-06-2013, 11:45 AM   #16 
AyalaCookiejar

I don't know if your tank is cycled but as long as your live plants are growing well, you should be able to add the fish since you removed those snails. Do two water changes per week and a water change any time your fish starts acting strange.

Make sure to acclimate the fish slowly! :)
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote