Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-30-2012, 03:39 PM   #1 
Zoonoo

Penn Plax Enchanted Castle Aquarium Ornament- Safe For Bettas?

Hello all!
I've been switching out the decor in Gawain's tank, and today I bought him the Penn Plax Enchanted Castle Aquarium Ornament (fitting, right? A castle for the knight). I did a very thorough pantyhose test and sanded off all of the sharp edges I could find, but it still poses some problems to me.

Name:  030172027369C.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  24.6 KB

In the above photo of the ornament you can see one main hole in the ornament, as well as one larger one on the side that goes into the ornament. The whole thing is actually hollow, so this hole connects to a hole on the other side. However the houses and towers are also hollow and don't offer an escape hole large enough for a betta, so I'm worried about him trying to swim up one of those and becoming stuck. I don't know much about their maneuverability so I'm just wondering if this would be an issue.
It's in his tank at the moment and I'm watching him carefully. He seems content to swim through the main hole, but I'm worried about him trying out the others and getting stuck when I'm not here and awake to save him.
Zoonoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:56 PM   #2 
LeoTheLakerBetta

I have seen those at the pet store and I do not think a betta would get stuck in there. Bettas like going into tight spots but they usually get themselves out pretty easy and can back up out of tight spots they can't turn around in. Hopefully he should be fine. I love his name and castle; it is very fitting.
LeoTheLakerBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:59 PM   #3 
LizzyP

If you're really worried he could get stuck, you can fill the small holes with silicone. :)
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:51 AM   #4 
BettaQt89

I bought this ornament for my HMDT boy, Argos and he absolutely LOVES it! Perhaps a little too much actually because the edges of it have wreaked havoc upon the ends of his gorgeous fins :(. What sort of sand paper did you use on the castle that didn't harm the paint? It's such a pretty addition to his tank and he enjoys hiding in there so much I hate to just get rid of it altogether.
BettaQt89 is offline   Reply With Quote