Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-26-2013, 05:02 PM   #1 
VJM

Does anyone's betta live to a ripe old age?

It seems like so many bettas die young due to mismanagement, either by their owners or by the seller. Not a knock at anyone who has a bought a betta not knowing what roper care consisted of, since stores should be educating owners.

A lot of threads here with bettas dying at a year, a year and a half.

Are they just overbred? Does anyone have a betta that makes it a long time? Relative to life span, of course.

Let's hear it people! Who has a lovely "old betta" story they can share?

Last edited by VJM; 02-26-2013 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Edited because possessives in the place of nouns makes me twitch.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:09 PM   #2 
LadyVictorian

Well not now but when I was younger I had two betta live over 5 years of age. Sadly they didn't die of old age though they were old, I think one was 7 years or close to it but they jumped into each others tanks and killed each other.

Currently i own a betta who is over a year named Hollow and he is still going strong. He's about 1.5 years old right now and eating like a pig and super active. The fact he isn't dead is a good thing though right ;)

Betta's I know can average from 2-3 years for thailand imports and some petshopers, some petshopers can live 4-7 years along with some fish from breeders, and some fish but very rare can live 8-10 years. It's a combination of your care and their genetics if they are strong and healthy. If everything falls into place I don't see why they can't live to be 5 or older.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:14 PM   #3 
bettagirlLOVER

hi is anyone on?
bettagirlLOVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:19 PM   #4 
Tabbie82

Well, my Feng is right around 2 years old and he is going strong. Maui is about a year and a half, he had a scare last week, but is doing great now. So they are doing good and I am hoping will live another year or more!
Tabbie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:19 PM   #5 
MoonShadow

I had a beautiful chocolate veiltail that i got when I first started keeping bettas, named Oliver, who lived to be around 5 years. I had another boy who was 3 when I gave him to a friend, she's had him about 6 months now and he's still going strong. I firmly believe that care is a big factor in the life span of a fish, but so are genetics. Fish that are severely inbred don't have the best shot at living to a good old age, whereas a betta from a good breeder of healthy strong fish that doesn't line breed for too many generations may have a better chance at a longer life.
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:55 PM   #6 
Sivan

My brother had a male veiltail who lived about 2.5 years - 3 years (can't remember exactly if he made it to 3) before my dad accidentally killed him. My dad suffered from a sunstroke and when he moved me to university we took my brother's Betta with us in a large jar that held close to 2 gallons. My dad went delirious from the sun stroke he got two days before at my high school graduation and kept insisting that if the lid of the jar was not tightened all the way that the fish would escape. Every time we would loosen the jar to give the poor boy some air my dad would come and tighten it again, rambling about the fish escaping. Unfortunately, he suffocated the poor boy this way.

My dad remembers nothing of this. He had quite the fever and barely remembers our trip. This happened many years ago but I still feel so sad for the Betta boy, especially since he died after I was not present in the hotel anymore.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:41 PM   #7 
registereduser

someone I know had a betta that just died at about 3 years of age. The kicker is she kept him in a small bowl and just added water to it as it evaporated. She would occasionally do a 100% change and wash the bowl with SOAP.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:16 PM   #8 
Tabbie82

She washed the bowl with soap??? That is... WOW.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:38 PM   #9 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabbie82 View Post
She washed the bowl with soap??? That is... WOW.
also she had no heater which meant he got really cold in the winter and hot in the summer. She kept him on her coffee table.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:40 PM   #10 
Tabbie82

He must have been a very hardy betta. That is amazing.