Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-05-2013, 05:45 PM   #1 
Solaris

Water Change Stress?

So, my CT is acclimating right now after his first water change. I cupped him, which was surprisingly easy. But I notice that he's developed stress stripes! I'm a little worried.

Also, I'm sure I did it right, but I'd just like to be clear. I changed 50%, so about 2.5 gallons. Then I put new water in and poured enough water conditioner to treat 2.5 gallons. Is that right? I don't have to treat the full 5 gallons again do I?
Solaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:01 PM   #2 
Bombalurina

That's how I do it. However, treating the full 5 wouldn't hurt, especially if your tank is cycling. :)
If you have a 5 gal, you don't need to cup your fish. Just get a gravel vacuum and siphon the water out. :) Much less stress for your betta.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:06 PM   #3 
Solaris

I'm just so afraid that he'll get sucked up! The suction is pretty strong. It empties really fast. And he's really curious. He attacks the pipette that I use to take water samples!
Solaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:32 PM   #4 
Bombalurina

Lol, that's cute. You can get really small hoses, though, and cover the end with pantyhose so that only water and tiny pieces of dirt come out. :) Worst case scenario, he gets stuck to it and you can release him by stopping the flow.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote