Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-08-2013, 08:34 PM   #11 
flyingpony22

I purchased the most basic epsom salt I could find. I made sure that it didn't have any perfumes or anything in it. He's doing a little better since I started the treatment. He rests in the plant now, where before he would just sit so still at the bottom that I thought he was dead. He's a little more active and will try to swim around the tank when he sees me come into the room. Now he's able to swim straight for a few seconds before his bottom drops back down again. Before the treatment he couldn't do that.

I tried to take better pictures of him. It's hard because the bowl is rounded the cup I put him in to change his water isn't clear either. He kept dancing around when I was taking the picture lol, but how he is floating is how he swims.

..Wow this is a dumb question but how to I interest a picture? I was able to do it no problem but I don't see the same icon I previously clicked. It's asking me for a url?
flyingpony22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:44 PM   #12 
callistra

Go to advanced reply.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:49 PM   #13 
flyingpony22

Thanks!
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2013, 08:50 PM   #14 
flyingpony22

Oh all those spots are just bubbles. I literally just changed his water.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:38 PM   #15 
callistra

He's malnurished and has fin rot.

I'd just keep up on the water changes and get him eating some food pellets. Immune system boosters like vitachem, garlic (either garlic guard by seachem or fresh crushed organic garlic food soak) and IAL would help if you can get them too.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:45 PM   #16 
flyingpony22

I'm feed him omega one. Ill look into the garlic. Somewhere I have IAL tea bags that I purchased from someone on here. Ill look harder for them tomorrow. If I still can't find them ill order them online. Do you think his swimming is something that can be corrected with care? Or is it to late to do much with him? I want to fix that first and get his strength up before I focus on the fin rot.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:55 PM   #17 
callistra

I think with some care it has a good chance of being corrected. I think it's just a time thing. It may take several weeks to correct.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:31 PM   #18 
flyingpony22

Thanks so much for all your help! Hopefully he's on his way to a speedy recovery!
Old 02-13-2013, 08:56 PM   #19 
flyingpony22

Hi guys!

Today marks a week from when I started the epsom treatment, and the change in him has been dramatic! He no longer sits on the bottom of the tank, he swims around or just hangs out by the top of the tank. He is starting to swim a little bit better. When he's swimming across the tank with a good amount of speed behind him, his body only tips down a little bit. When he's resting at the top his body also still hangs down, but not as bad as before. I've upped his food intake and I feed him a pellet or two at a time all throughout the day so he's roughly getting somewhere between 8-10 pellets. I've been watching him carefully and he is passing the food so I know he isn't bloated.

My question is should I continue the salt treatment for 8 or 10 days? I know if you do it too long it can damage his internal organs but I wasn't sure what the magic number was. And is there anything else I should be doing for him?
Old 02-13-2013, 10:44 PM   #20 
LittleBlueFishlets

Glad to hear he's doing better!

Aquarium salt is the one that has the 10 day limit....

You're using Epsom salt, which doesn't have a time restriction like that. You can use it for longer periods of time.

How much Epsom salt is in his water now? Are his swimming and buoyancy OK now? Or does he still have buoyancy issues on occasion? Does he poop on a regular basis? And what does it look like?
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote