Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-05-2013, 09:35 PM   #1 
heckofagator

Any additivies in your water-change water?

Hi gang,

As posted in the disease forum, I believe we have a betta with Velvet. It's my hope, of course, that we come thru this with everyone happy.

I've been doing a bit of reading and came across an article that mentioned that adding aquarium salt and aquarisol to make up water. I searched on aquarisol and saw a couple other similar products like Bettafix, etc.

I was just curious if most here tend to use the salt and medications just when needed, or if you add these in small quantities to your fresh water? As long as they are in small amounts, is there really any harm?

Thanks in advance all.
heckofagator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:04 PM   #2 
Hadoken Kitty

Hey there! I have a bunch of medications on hand, but non of them get used unless needed. My reasoning behind it, is so that the fish's immune system and cells don't get used to whatever additives I put in, making it harder for whatever medication I choose to use. Not sure if this is proven, but it makes sense to me. About every other animal on Earth usually builds up a tolerance eventually, so I don't see why fish would be an exception. I hope that this helps!
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:09 PM   #3 
pittipuppylove

I'm personally of the school of thought that its best to add as little to the water as is reasonably possible - my water changes consist of a water conditioner (typically Prime and/or StressCoat) and then a dose of plant fertilizer the next day. Using a medication - salt included - on a regular basis can stress the fish and also run the risk that a strain of bacteria, virus, etc. could develop immunity to the medication. Then if you need to treat for that illness, the preferred treatment could be rendered ineffective - it's very similar to what happened with most penicillin medications in that many kinds of bacteria are now penicillin-resistant.

It's also typically best to avoid using Bettafix and the other "-fix" medications with bettas and other fish that have a labyrinth organ as these meds have a tendency to coat the organ and potentially suffocate the fish.
Posted via Mobile Device
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:12 PM   #4 
Hadoken Kitty

Okay let me re-word this. Conditioner, obviously, and plant booster next day since mine is live planted. Lol.
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:52 AM   #5 
heckofagator

Thanks for the thoughts. I've been in the aquarium hobby off and on for many years (mostly saltwater) and have never really thought about additives, but when I read the article (that said the additives were probably a good thing), it made sense. And I just didn't know if the bettas were different.

I'll just plan to have some stuff onhand just incase, so I don't have to rush out next time and go buy medicine.
heckofagator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:00 AM   #6 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Its always good to have some Espom salt on hand as its used for many issues such as bloating.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:18 AM   #7 
Myates

Best to only use water conditioner as a tank additive - anything else can be detrimental to the fish's health in the long run.

Over exposure to salt (not Epsom) can cause kidneys to fail, over exposure to medications can cause any number of internal organ damage. Not to mention the bacteria, fish, parasites (which all fish have all the time as it is), become resistant to the salt/medications and basically making them useless - which pretty much renders all that time the fish was in the medications risking it's health is for naught since the disease/illness will work it's way around everything and still attack.

Best to rely on water changes, warmth, quality food to keep the fish healthy. Relying on medications/AQ salt will just end up biting one in the butt.

Now, there are additives such as vitamin C, etc that is fine to use - just not medications that treat illnesses nor AQ salt/sea salt/table salt should be used outside of specific treatment.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:26 AM   #8 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

A+++++ Myates !!!! I think it might be good to keep like a first aid kit for your fish and just add to it every now and then so your not in a panic to rush out and get something for your sick fish, but I would never add anything without getting advice from the good people here first.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote