Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-05-2013, 10:24 PM   #1 
Alcemistnv

Exclamation Desparate help: 2 dying, 1 dead

I don't want to go into detail, but I need some serious help right now.

My friend just lost her betta and I'm losing two of mine, both with similar symptoms. I was told that It's columnaris, and that's understandable.

We believe it's the water on campus and there is something in it. There is so much construction going on and pipes bursting that it's possible.

The ammonia and pH read on normal levels for me (as in what they have for the last year+) which is 0 - 0.25 ammonia and 7.6 pH.

The readings are still the same, but somehow all three fish are catching colunaris. Pudge (my third betta) also had the fuzz symptons, but he was placed in maracyn (to treat something else) and it cured him. However, I wasn't aware of how fast this progressed and now I'm losing my fish.

So, my main question is,
What can we do to make the water safer for the fish for now?

We are contemplating using distilled water and campus water for changes, or even boiling the water. I'm to afraid to do anything with the water and the tanks right now, but she's planning on cleaning it soon.
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:36 PM   #2 
aemaki09

Sorry to say, but, you cant really do much to make water safer other than getting a UV sterilizer or using a different source of water.

I would suggest getting something stronger to medicate like maracyn plus, furan 2, or kanaplex...something that treats both gram positive and negative bacterial infections, turning the temp down to 76 or below, and aerating the tank as much as possible to help with the columnaris.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:37 PM   #3 
cliffordsmom

Are you treating the tap water from your school with any kinds of conditioners?
cliffordsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:20 AM   #4 
CathrynFish

If you arent using a conditioner; you should always use a conditioner for tap water for ammonia levels, chlorine levels, any levels. Try just getting a conditioner.

But if you moved to distilled water do it in increments. I read somewhere distilled isnt the best for Bettas because of its lack of Oxygen. I used to use it all the time but after that i just decided it would be more affordable slowly switching it to a filtered tap water with conditioner. Also I say increments because I also read that your fish can go into shock if they are introduced too quickly to a new water compounds. Distilled being a simple water compound and tap water having a lot of different chemicals and elements in it making it a huge compound

Good luck with your babies I hope they are okay
CathrynFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:13 AM   #5 
sainthogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathrynFish View Post
If you arent using a conditioner; you should always use a conditioner for tap water for ammonia levels, chlorine levels, any levels. Try just getting a conditioner.

But if you moved to distilled water do it in increments. I read somewhere distilled isnt the best for Bettas because of its lack of Oxygen. I used to use it all the time but after that i just decided it would be more affordable slowly switching it to a filtered tap water with conditioner. Also I say increments because I also read that your fish can go into shock if they are introduced too quickly to a new water compounds. Distilled being a simple water compound and tap water having a lot of different chemicals and elements in it making it a huge compound

Good luck with your babies I hope they are okay
Distilled water isn't good because of its lack of nutrients. The distilling process takes everything out good and bad. It doesn't remove the oxygen. Bettas get their oxygen from the air, so lack of oxygen in water isn't a big deal anyway.

To OP: regular bottled water would be much, much better than distilled. If you aren't using a conditioner, please do so, even if you're using bottled water. And as a PP stated, you normally should do water changes to a new type of water in increments, but if your water source is contaminated, you may not have a choice.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:49 AM   #6 
Alcemistnv

Sorryy for not replying, last night was a little hectic.

I lost Jingles already sadly, and Bubs is already pineconing :<

I use water cnditioner for ever ytank change that I do, even if it's a partial change. As does my friend. She lost a betta and a snail, I lost a betta. And we are currently 3 weeks into this semester and I know I've already did 2 water changes, and I don't know about her. It seems like the most recent water change was what got us, but I'm paranoid about whether it's still bad or not.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:56 AM   #7 
youlovegnats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcemistnv View Post
I use water cnditioner for ever ytank change that I do, even if it's a partial change. As does my friend. She lost a betta and a snail, I lost a betta. And we are currently 3 weeks into this semester and I know I've already did 2 water changes, and I don't know about her.
I'm sorry to hear about your losses. :c How big exactly is your tank? 2 changes in 3 weeks is less than what you should be doing.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:50 AM   #8 
Alcemistnv

I actually had the 10 gallon most of those 3 weeks and I just recently put them in the 5 gallon.

I just did a water change a few days ago, and I would have done a change yesterday had this not happened. With the five gallon I do changes twice a week.