Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-06-2013, 01:58 AM   #1 
itsuki

backgrounds causing flaring??

im abit dumbfounded as to how placing a background (those paper/laminated photos) are able to cause a reflection in my tank. im fairly sure they do because every time i try to put one on the back of the tank i notice my betta start flaring at the tank walls much more then before and when i take it off he quits flaring. i would like to place a blank blue or black background (hate looking at my electrical wires for the heater and filter staring back at me) but i dont like the thought of Nemo flaring up constantly. is there a way to cut down relection in my tank.

extra info: 10 gallon glass tank, clear top with 18inch T5 light
itsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:06 AM   #2 
Hadoken Kitty

Actually, flaring is really good for bettas! Not only is it loads of exercise, but it's also a form of communication for them!

Also, if you haven't had the tank for long, then he is still getting used to it. The flaring will decrease in time. (:
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:30 AM   #3 
itsuki

its only been a month but he's pretty comfortable now but he still gets super angry when he sees he's reflection, i feel like if he does it too long he'll stress himself out plus he tends to take it out on the otos when he gets angry. Nemo is kinda like bruce banner, timid when calm and hulks out when he gets angry. well i guess i'll make another black background for him and if he eventually calms down i will buy a nice background for him. thanks, hadoken
Old 02-06-2013, 02:55 AM   #4 
Hadoken Kitty

I wish mine would flare as much as he used to. Black is sometimes a color that causes bettas to flare as well. I just thought of that, so it probably has something to do with that as well. You have otos...what size of tank do you have? I'm just curious at this point. xD
Old 02-06-2013, 04:15 AM   #5 
itsuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken Kitty View Post
I wish mine would flare as much as he used to. Black is sometimes a color that causes bettas to flare as well. I just thought of that, so it probably has something to do with that as well. You have otos...what size of tank do you have? I'm just curious at this point. xD
lol i posted the tank size in the 1st post :P but if u over looked it, it was a 10 gallon tank. i have 3 otos but i think i couldve went with two, thinking about giving one away so theres abit less waste. and ive just added a mystery snail today to ease the waste problem (slightly), maybe i should get more snails........
Old 02-06-2013, 04:45 AM   #6 
Hadoken Kitty

Hmmmmm. If I were you, I would get rid of one, but wait if your tank hasn't cycled. I really like my mystery snails. What color is yours? I have a blue one in my 20G and a white one in my 2G. (:

Have you given your tank time to cycle? If not, they won't go into a cleaning frenzy until your parameters start raising. Do you have a test kit to test your water levels (ammonia, PH, nitrate, nitrite, etc)?
Old 02-06-2013, 05:35 AM   #7 
Sparrowhawk

I can't comment on your other fish, but I do have a little experience with backgrounds and little fusspots who dislike them. My boy Falkor just wouldn't stop flaring at any background I tried putting on his upgraded tank before I moved him back to his original one, which he seems to prefer. Any background I added to that bigger tank, he'd spend at least half his time flaring at it. I tried printouts, laminated aquarium backgrounds, patterned fabric, photos cut out from calendars, pretty much you name it, I tried it. Nothing was satisfactory. You can keep trying different backgrounds if you want to, but be warned, some boys just won't be pleased. :P
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:35 AM   #8 
GoodMorning

I have a big feeling that it's a reflection somewhere in the background. Darker colors tends to bring out more of a reflection from the glass tank. Try a white background. I tried it with mine not too long ago, and white is the way to go.
GoodMorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:40 AM   #9 
valen1014

Don't get rid of the oto =\ I'm still learning about them and they really should be in a group of 5, a group of 3 at least, but 2 is not really good.
valen1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:05 AM   #10 
MyRainbowBettaFish

i had an AQ background that was in my tank for 4 months. My betta flared at it so uch he split his tail and fins. Be careful, if they show any signs of distress, take it down.
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote