Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-03-2013, 04:19 AM   #1 
jrsoccer190

What else can I do?

Hello you guys can probably see that this is my first post but i didnt just recently get a betta. This is my second betta because my parents forgot to fed him while i was at college and he died. I know awful right. So I got a new one with 3 other tetras in a 7.5 gallon tank. It turns out my new betta is a killer because he killed two of the clear tetras..So i bought a new 5 gallon tank. This one here. Tank I got it along with a really tall plastic plant..i know its not silk but i wanted it to be tall enough for him to make bubble nests on top of the water. I also got him a plastic wood tube. That has a whole that he can swim in and out from in the side. I cannot get gravel until i return home next weekend. So i took some from my old tank just to have some on there. I have a heater and a filter with the tank. It is about 79 degrees in the tank. I plan on getting a leaf hammock when i go back home..Is there anything else I can do. I want him to be really really happy and to make bubble nests. Here is also a picture of my tank. I really appreciate all of the input. The more the better!! I also understand the tank is very plain..Input on that would be awesome too..thanks
Attached Images

jrsoccer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:18 AM   #2 
Krabbit

How do you ask a questoin? I know your the one that asked the questoin but I can't figure it out :(
Krabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:53 AM   #3 
TwilightNite

For you tank, I think you are doing very well! in the area of deor I would recomend lots of hiding places and plants that float on top of the water and at least 1lb of gravel per gallon.:) Your tank is filtered and heated whitch is the main importance. Along even with the filter at least 50% water changes should be preformed weekly. Love your fish, he's very cute, from the back he kinda looks like my male that passed away 2 years ago.
TwilightNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:28 AM   #4 
sainthogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabbit View Post
How do you ask a questoin? I know your the one that asked the questoin but I can't figure it out :(
You ask a question by starting a "new thread", you will find that button at the top where the posts start.

To the OP, it looks good, I would add a few more hiding places though, they really like to be able to hide and lounge in their hiding places, especially near the surface.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:39 AM   #5 
jrsoccer190

Okay thank you guys. For the hiding places. What type of things/plants/etc do you suggest like specifics?
Old 02-03-2013, 11:57 AM   #6 
sainthogan

Both my fish LOVE my live Lilly plants. I got them as bulbs at Wal-Mart, and they have both grown to have big, broad leaves that reach the top. My fish can completely lay on a leaf close to the surface and my male, actually curls up into a ball on one of his. The bulbs are incredibly easy to care for. I just dropped them in and about 3 weeks later, they started sprouting. I haven't had to add any fertilizers to keep them healthy. They do really well with my LED lights from my tanks.
Other things you can consider are betta hammocks, they are basically a leaf on a suction cup that you put near the surface, and they like to sleep on those. You could get a floating betta log too, those have a hole in the top of the log for them to get air easily, and they just float around the surface of you tank. Any type of floating plant, fake or live, is good too.

Just always make sure that any fake plant or decoration passes the panty hose test. Take a pair of panty hose and rub it all over the plant, if it snags at all, it's too rough for your fish and it will tear his fins.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:34 PM   #7 
jrsoccer190

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainthogan View Post
Both my fish LOVE my live Lilly plants. I got them as bulbs at Wal-Mart, and they have both grown to have big, broad leaves that reach the top. My fish can completely lay on a leaf close to the surface and my male, actually curls up into a ball on one of his. The bulbs are incredibly easy to care for. I just dropped them in and about 3 weeks later, they started sprouting. I haven't had to add any fertilizers to keep them healthy. They do really well with my LED lights from my tanks.
Other things you can consider are betta hammocks, they are basically a leaf on a suction cup that you put near the surface, and they like to sleep on those. You could get a floating betta log too, those have a hole in the top of the log for them to get air easily, and they just float around the surface of you tank. Any type of floating plant, fake or live, is good too.

Just always make sure that any fake plant or decoration passes the panty hose test. Take a pair of panty hose and rub it all over the plant, if it snags at all, it's too rough for your fish and it will tear his fins.
What do you do to take care of the Lilly pads? And I know I'm gonna get atleast a leaf hammock as of right now.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:12 PM   #8 
sainthogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsoccer190 View Post
What do you do to take care of the Lilly pads? And I know I'm gonna get atleast a leaf hammock as of right now.
Nothing. I just dropped them in as bulbs and let them grow. With one, I had to anchor it down because my female insisted on digging it up, but my male left his alone. The only thing I really do is trim off dead leaves, other than that, I just let them grow. I don't add anything to the water other than the water conditioner for the fish.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:15 PM   #9 
WhiskeyHands

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsoccer190 View Post
I plan on getting a leaf hammock when i go back home.
When you get the leaf hammock, be sure to remove the metal piece in the leaf. It will rust and will be harmful if you let it in.
WhiskeyHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #10 
blu the betta

your tank looks good so far.
blu the betta is offline   Reply With Quote