Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-23-2013, 10:57 AM   #1 
MomaDragonfly

Advice on proper tank care

I have had my betta for 6 days now. With the first three days spent in a Gal. bowl. I moved up to a 5 gal tank with a Tetra WhisperMicro filter and a heater. The temp is between 76-78. (The thermomater reads in incrimints) Also, there are two plants in the tank. The tank was filled and running for 24 hours before I put the Betta inside. Used a bag and gradually added the new water to the bag over an hour before placing him inside. Its day two of the new tank and he seems happy and active as ever. My question is how often to I need to change the water? I currently do not have a test kit but will be getting one within the next few days. Im new to this and don't want anything to happen to the little guy. Hes a red veiltail. Also, how often to most feed the Betta? I have read many diff things ranging from twice daily to once to everyother day and skipping a day completly. Currently using HBH Betta Bites and Tetra freeze dried blood worms. (Ihave only given the blood worms twice as more or less a treat. Just a few at a time.) Also, added to the tank water when first filled was Betta h20 conditioner. Any help is apperciated. I love this forum and all the wonderful ppl. Everyone has been SO helpful so far in the new journey with my Betta and I can't thank you guys enough!!!
MomaDragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:36 PM   #2 
aquaticlifelover

im not exactly sure about how often to clean it, but you should feed your betta 2 pellets every morning, and fast him for one day (i do Sundays). i used to feed mine 4 pellets every morning and he developed swim bladder over time, and i was really convinced he wasn't going to make it, i treated him as best i could and did everything possible and he pulled through perfectly! now hes healthy and happy and im so glad hes still with me. also on Wednesdays i give them a few blood worms as a treat. hope this helps some! i can go into more detail about treating the swim bladder to if you ever want! :)
aquaticlifelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:40 PM   #3 
MomaDragonfly

What is swim bladder? I've read several terms I don't know what they are or look like. I've been doing as much reading as I can in the threads and stickys but still don't know a whole lot. Lol. Thanks for the feeding tip. :)
Old 02-23-2013, 05:45 PM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

Once your tank is fully cycled a weekly 50%+ water change should be sufficient. Until its cycled you'll probably average a water change every 2-3 days to keep ammonia and/or nitrites .25 or less but you'll have to test the water daily with a liquid test kit to know for sure. As far as feeding it depends on the size of the pellets. Mine eat New Life Spectrum or a omega One pellets, the NLS pellets are smaller so they get 6-8 once a day, the omega one they get 4. I don't feed twice a day just because of convenience for me, I don't have time in the morning before work. I do have a Betta at work & ill break his feeding up to multiple a day but the same amount of pellets as everyone else.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:53 PM   #5 
aquaticlifelover

swim bladder is usually because of constipation or poor diet. their belly can swell up real big and they get stuck floating at the top, or vice versa and they sink to the bottom sliding on theyre bellies. it was so horrible to watch. i lowered the tank water very low so he wouldnt have to swim so far up to take a breath. i stopped feeding him for three days (which is not starving them) and still he was not better. then i dropped a frozen pea in the tank that i had put in the microwave and split in tiny pieces and tried to feed it to him. he wouldnt even eat it. he must have when i wasnt looking though, or he had a huge will to stay alive, which he surely did! he began to start swimming around again, in the little water he had so i decided to raise it back to normal again! keep in mind i also didnt have the heater on because its one of the pads that lays at the bottom of the tank and i didnt want to burn him so i wrapped him up in a sweater to keep him as warm as i could.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:15 PM   #6 
MomaDragonfly

When doing the water changes do you remove the betta or leave him in the tank? I'll be getting a test kit tomorrow. He seems super active. Not in one spot very long.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:46 PM   #7 
aquaticlifelover

you leave the fish in the tank and siphon out the water for that tank size
Old 02-23-2013, 07:10 PM   #8 
MomaDragonfly

What about putting the new water in. How to get the temp to match? I have a tank thermometer but it doesn't come out.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:01 AM   #9 
shellieca
Reference Team

I leave my Bettas in their tanks & I use a gravel vac/syphon to drain out the water & vac the substrate. I temp match my new water by feel, it won't harm anything if its a degree or two off, just make sure to condition the new water before you gently pour it into the tank. Some people have a separate thermometer to check it. when you say your thermometer isn't detachable does that mean its a sticker? If so I suggest you get a hang in tank thermometer, they're about $3 at Petsmart. If your Betta is anything like mine keep an eye on him because he may get into the stream of water pouring back in so be watchful & pour as gently as possible.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:49 AM   #10 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Yeah. A couple of mine also like to play in the refill water.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote