Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-11-2013, 10:00 AM   #31 
kandaila

I bought one of the kits to divide my tank and it worked good. I would go with the DIY next time though cuz the kit was pretty pricy >.< but with mine when I got it in it seemed kinda flimsy even with gravelband plants to support it. The two metal clips that came with it work great (you can see on my avatar) to keep it steady. You could probably use a large paper clip instead.
kandaila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:44 PM   #32 
Krys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrannic2Do View Post
Looks like it was a success!
The only time i had a problem with it, was probably my fault. I had done this in 4ths-- which was fine, i had gotten it all set up and it was going just perfect for a few days. one day i left and went out with my mother for the day, and when i got back, some how Sesshoumaru had managed to get out of his section, but not only did he get past HIS section, but the two separating him from the new male that was on the other end of the tank.

it was set up like;
Renkotsu, Jakotsu, Rin, Sesshoumaru.

Somehow Sesshoumaru got past Rin and Jakotsu and ended up stuck in Renkotsu's section. Neither were dead, or even fighting when i looked at the tank, at first I couldn't find Sesshoumaru and thought he somehow jumped out through the back. I looked all over my dresser top and the down the back, didn't see him anywhere. then I took a closer look at Rin, thinking maybe he got in to her section since it's right next to him. Nope, she wasn't even harmed. then out of the corner of my eye, i see something red moving on Renkotsu's end and lord behold, Sesshoumaru is in there, with Renkotsu, and Renkotsu isn't even paying attention to him. The first words out of my mouth were, "How the f*** did you get all the way over there?!" and he's just looking at me, Renkotsu still doesn't care and they can see each each other. Renkotsu has a few nips in his fins, and Sesshoumaru has a few in his. I grabbed the clostest cup like thing I could, which ended up being a cleaned out peanutbutter jar, scooped sesshoumaru up, and put him on his own side, then checked the separators, which all seemed perfectly sturdy and with no holes. So I sat there and watched him for the next few minutes, and he never went to any corner or anything that would give me a lead to how he managed to do that. and even if there was a hole, what are the chances he'd find two more in the next couple separators?

I dunno, it never happened again. I came to the conclusion that maybe he jumped the gates. When I made that conclusion, I made a habit of lowering the water level a couple inches. Even though the hood made it a tight squeeze to jump them in the first place.

-shrug-

I still like to do this, I've just gotten more tanks so i don't HAVE to, and even if I do, I'm a little paranoid about Sesshoumaru doing that again, so i just give him his own tank to ensure he doesn't.

Last edited by Krys; 02-11-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Krys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #33 
TeteRouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdog View Post
I guess I am lost or just different in my way of thinking. I don't use HOB in a divided tank. I treat each compartment as an individual tank. Each section gets it's own sponge filter. Not only does this make sure each section gets equal filtration, but also prevents flow problems from a HOB. JMO
@waterdog, No way are you lost ! You have way more experience with Bettas than I do, and I want to learn, too. This is my first Betta tank-I have 2 cichlid tanks and a shrimp nano. I'm used to HOBs or sumps rather than sponge filters. Since studying posts here, I've come to respect sponges a lot.

Builds on divided tanks I've seen elsewhere had HOBs sitting astride the dividers, one straddling each divider, moving water between compartments. But you all have the most experience on dividing, so that why I'm here ! I was thinking the HOBs on the end compartments, and the sponge in the center. The mesh does slow water circulation a lot, but the center would still get some from HOBs, and the sponge would add more. So each does have its own filter. (I have a thread asking for all to critique the idea in the Bowl/Habitat section- "Optimizing Filters"}

Quote:
Hrmmm.....that is rather intriguing. I'm looking forward to see how you set it all up before I attempt mine then, lol!
@Tyrannic2Do, my idea is a theory I got while brainstorming with another shrimper! It may get shot down here, lol. It's a way to save a little money, and get good filtration-I hope. 3 (adjustable) HObs are expensive... and probably too much movement... I may be way off , (and my apologies! I didn't mean to hijack )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsewhere View Post
....I have two divided 10g tanks, and the Plexiglas works PERFECTLY!.... And if one gets sick we can plug them up and have a QT tank right there. Yours look absolutely brilliant, though! Congrats!
@Elsewhere- Brilliant idea! :D One could slide fitted pieces of plexi or plastic next to the mesh and... voila!

@Krys, nice setup and successful! How did you filter?
TeteRouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:17 PM   #34 
Krys

I just did water changes.
Krys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:53 AM   #35 
chibifish

So my dividers came earlier than expected! Here's a few pics...
This is a close-up of the clips (one of the main reasons I got them):

And here's the whole thing:

I haven't put it in my tank yet. I'm heading to Walmart tomorrow to pick up some of that black plastic canvas to use in between since I don't want them seeing each other. I'm also going to pick up a couple more caves so all the sections have one. If I complete it tomorrow I should be able to post the result by tomorrow night. I'm too excited for this.

Unfortunately, I don't have a ton of money to spend on filters, so I'm going to still be using my under gravel one for now (I think I'll point the outflow towards the middle section so the water flows there) with my water changes much more frequent. The ideas you guys have been saying are great and I'll definitely look into them for the future when I have saved some money!
chibifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:18 AM   #36 
chibifish

Ah, so I completed it! I decided to go with a SpongeBob theme because I thinks it's adorable. Shinji is on the left (double tail plakat), Caaarl is in the middle (veiltail), and Paul is on the right (crowntail).
chibifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:12 AM   #37 
Tyrannic2Do

Snaps, so many pictures and comments! I appreciate everyone taking their time answering. Now I has so much to build on!
Tyrannic2Do is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:27 AM   #38 
TeteRouge

Quote:
Hrmmm.....that is rather intriguing. I'm looking forward to see how you set it all up before I attempt mine then, lol!
Well, set up is done :D Altered plans a bit after throwing out ideas.

this was inspiration.. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=40025

and this.. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=174576

I used 2 pks of report covers ($1.98) at Walmart, "plastic canvas" mesh from Anna's, 59 cents each, DAP aquarium safe silicone $4.79 at Home Depot, Black Krylon $4.50.

I put the filters straddling dividers, enlarged some of the holes in the mesh slightly to facilitate water flow.

Planted, waiting for water to clear, beginning cycling, flow testing (good). Better flow this way. I may add sponge filters, though at the moment I'm getting good circulation.

Looking forward to seeing your project :D
TeteRouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:30 AM   #39 
VJM

That pineapple decoration is probably toxic. There is a thread on it around here somewhere. I would take it out asap.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote