Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-06-2013, 12:31 PM   #1 
deesseau

Fuzzy spots on my black betta

Please help save Orq !
It began with a whitish spot on the left pectoral fin a few days ago, and now there are 4 spots, on his two pectorals,and on his head,near the eyes. There are no other spots anywhere on his body( in the pictures, the ones on the back are just light effects). He is active, and eats well.

Orq has been in this planted 5 gallon since january. 80 degrés celsius, with 2 white clouds and 2 shrimps. Regular water changes, 20 to 30 percent each week.
If i have to quarantine, I have a one gallon container , and an old heater.
Attached Images

deesseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:43 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

The pics are a little blurry so it's hard to see. Do the spots appear to look like he was sprinkled with salt or sugar? Is he rubbing against the deocrations, substrate, tank walls like he's trying to rub something off of him? A clearer pic would help. What is your tank temp? You put 80 celsius which I hope is a typo . . .

On a side note, I wouldn't have the white clouds in a 5g tank, from my research they should have a min. of a 10g & are shcooling fish which do best with at least 6.

Last edited by shellieca; 02-06-2013 at 12:53 PM.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:03 PM   #3 
deesseau

thank you for your help;no, it doesnt look like ick at all, and he doesnt not scratch himself; there are only 4 spots, fuzzy looking. i will try to get better pictures
And ...it is 80....fahrenheit ! sorry!
Old 02-06-2013, 05:53 PM   #4 
gargleknobs

That sounds like fungus. I don't know what medications to use, but I can look around a bit and see what people suggest.
gargleknobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:02 PM   #5 
gargleknobs

I just grabbed this from one of the stickies, since I don't know anything about treating fungal infections myself.

True Fungal Infections
•Symptoms: White cottony like patches on its body or head, Lethargic, Not eating, Clamped Fins, Pale Colors
•Treatment: Conservative: Lower temperature below 76* F and treat with Aq.Salt at 1 tsp/gal. Increase water changes to 100% daily. Replace accurate amount of salt following water changes. Never continue salt treatments for more than 10 days. Medication: If Conservative treatment is ineffective after 10 days or you see the fungus spread rapidly during the course of conservative treatment, move to medication. Add “Fungus Eliminator” by Jungle, API Erythromycin, API Fungus Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR Mardel’s Maracyn II. Change water every day and add a new dose of the same medication. Continue until all fungus has disappeared.

Judging by that, I would say just start him on aquarium salt treatments.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:27 PM   #6 
deesseau

thank you all; i just bought some api fungus cure (liquid) and i will try some aquarium salt. He is not lethargic, and quite active.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #7 
gargleknobs

That's good to hear. That probably means you caught it before it got bad, or he's just a fighter. I hope the salt/anti fungal helps!
Old 02-07-2013, 07:15 AM   #8 
deesseau

Hope everything goes well

Thank you again for your suggestions. I began the treatment with API fungus cure and some salt. This picture was taken yesterday morning; and as you can see, he seems to be ok
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2013, 07:18 AM   #9 
deesseau

I mean, he seems to be ok, active as usual, before the treatment; the only thing being the fuzzy spots that developped on his fins and head. I began the treatment last night.