Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2013, 12:06 PM   #1 
kihughes

Exclamation beta!

I have had bettas in the past that lived to 4+ years with few problems. This is the first time I put two bettas in a 2.5 gallon tank with a divider so they are safe from each other. At first both flourished. Now the bigger one is still flourishing while the smaller one doesn't extend his fins anymore, hardly eats, and spends most of his day on the tanks bottom. I have a filter that I use every other day b/c I don't want them to struggle with a current, I have a heater, I changed the water 100% last Thursday. The fish has not changed his behavior and he looks terrible compared to when I bought him 3 weeks ago. I only use bottled store brand drinking or distilled water in the tank with no water treatment. The ph test strips show high ph in water samples I have taken from 5 different water sources so I don't really trust the results. What can I do to help my fish?!?!

Last edited by kihughes; 02-04-2013 at 12:14 PM. Reason: spelling corrections
kihughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:18 PM   #2 
kihughes

My title should read Beta needs help!!
Old 02-04-2013, 12:27 PM   #3 
LadyVictorian

Get a 2nd tank, a 2.5 is too small for two fish. You need at least 5 gallons to have two betta.

Also drinking or bottled water isn't good for fish. It has no nutriance and vitimins in the water and can actually make them very sick.

How often are you cleaning your tank by the way?
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:17 PM   #4 
kihughes

Betta needs help

Does anyone think if I just separate the two fish that the one who doesn't look good will improve? I have always used bottled water maybe it was spring water instead of drinking water but that seems to have helped in the past
Old 02-04-2013, 05:36 PM   #5 
Luimeril

it's better to just use tap water and conditioner, honestly.
and, yes. once seperated, the weaker one should improve. but, telling us how often you clean their tank and how often you feed them, and what you feed them..
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:00 AM   #6 
kihughes

The water is changed 100% at least ever two weeks and I feed hikari pellets
Old 02-08-2013, 08:11 PM   #7 
callistra

That's not enough. Even with one fish it would need twice weekly water changes of 50% and 100%
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:38 PM   #8 
LittleBlueFishlets

A 2.5 gallon tank with ONE fish needs one 100% and one 50% water change per week, as others have pointed out. You have two fish in there, so the ammonia and toxins are building up very quickly.

Since the water is only changed every two weeks, the fish are swimming in their own waste. Basically, they're living in a toilet that hasn't been flushed. (Yuk!)

Using a filter every other day isn't going to do much. It may help draw out a little of the waste, but it's not going to take the place of doing frequent water changes.

Using bottled store brand drinking is fine. But don't use distilled water! Drinking water and tap water contain dissolved salts that fish (and people) need. Distilled water doesn't contain these. Regardless of whether you use bottled drinking water or tap water, you should always use conditioner that removes chlorine, chloramines and heavy metals. (Often, these conditioners also contain chemicals that protect the slime coat on fish, too.)

Don't worry about the pH of the water. Bettas can handle a pH wide range. If it's safe for people to drink, it's OK for your fish.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote