Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-06-2013, 03:04 PM   #1 
shootingmaggots

Red face Clamped Top fin New owner

So I'm new on this site, and am a new betta owner. I got Mr. Piffles three days ago from walmart. He seems to swim around okay in his three gallon tank, but I am worried about his top fin. It looks like it may be clamped. Like I said I'm new to the game so am curious what actions I should take.

I have a thermometer in his tank the temp seems to be fine.
I feed him flakes, pellets, and sometimes blood worms.
There are three ghost shrimp just added with him.
The ph and ammonia levels appear to be fine.

He has held his fin that way since I got him.
Attached Images

shootingmaggots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:22 PM   #2 
Kbud

I don't know what to say... However, it may be natural or perhaps he had a run-in with the shrimp.... In either case, is he swimming okay? If so, he should be okay. I'm a newbie too, so I would love some verification; I'm just taking some guesses.
Kbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #3 
Krys

If it's sense you got him, like he had it at the store, it's probably just a harmless case of mild fin clamp from being in a stupid little cup for god knows how long. If he's swimming fine and doesn't seem to be having any problems, don't worry about it. Usually this type of fin clamp can clear up, all the bettas I've gotten that had a mild case like Mr. Piffles seems to have have always gone away.

On another note, he looks kind of pale, which is normal because of Walmart and other petstores not taking good care of them. To brighten up his colors, try giving him a high protein diet. Bettas actually love things like a pin head sized chunk of raw ground meat (beef is best), they also love frozen or live blood worms (freeze dried aren't considered good for a staple diet, it's mostly for a treat only). Sometimes you can find fish food that is high in protien too, but if it says anything like freeze dried, don't use it for a staple diet.

Other than that, that's the only thing I can see by the given pictures.

Congrats on your new betta! And welcome to the site!

If you have any more questions, please post them, we'd all love to help you and Mr. Piffles!
Krys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:44 PM   #4 
shootingmaggots

Thank you for the info!

I had no idea you could feed them ground beef. I will have to try that. I had noticed he was pale also hopefully he'll feel better in a few days. Glad you mentioned that about the blood worms I didn't realize those kind were only for treats I'll have to keep that in mind.

He seems to swim about okay and when I added the ghost shrimp he was very interested. Also I noticed he loves visitors.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:51 PM   #5 
shootingmaggots

Thank you for the reply, I'm hoping he will be fine after he gets used to the new environment. Other than his top fin he seems to move around a good bit and be interested in his surroundings.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:21 AM   #6 
Zoetrooper

I'm no expert but I recall someone mentioning that that particular spongebob ornament contains metals that can turn the water toxic for your fish. I would take it out for awhile and do a water change, see if he perks up.
Zoetrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:58 AM   #7 
Krys

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootingmaggots View Post
I had no idea you could feed them ground beef. I will have to try that. I had noticed he was pale also hopefully he'll feel better in a few days. Glad you mentioned that about the blood worms I didn't realize those kind were only for treats I'll have to keep that in mind.

He seems to swim about okay and when I added the ghost shrimp he was very interested. Also I noticed he loves visitors.
Oh yeah, they go nuts for ground meat. As long as it isn't flavored with anything and just plain, it's perfectly fine. but don't over feed them. just a pin head sized chuck is good, and if for some reason he doesn't eat it, get it out of the tank so it doesn't spoil and cause any bacteria infestation. But he'll eat it... they always do. :)
Krys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:04 AM   #8 
Afayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoetrooper View Post
I'm no expert but I recall someone mentioning that that particular spongebob ornament contains metals that can turn the water toxic for your fish. I would take it out for awhile and do a water change, see if he perks up.
The problem with items like the sponge bob house is that it has a metal frame inside that will rust slowly over time and end up hurting your fish~

You can always add some AQ salt, it's calming and anti bacterial! (just dont use it for extended amounts of time)

there are also Indian Almond leaves, which are very calming and anti bacterial as well :)
Afayed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:46 AM   #9 
shootingmaggots

Yeah where can you find those. I noticed people mentioning them alot on the forums.

Thanks for the warning about the spongebob, Ill take it out soon as I find him something better.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:30 PM   #10 
callistra

Pineapple has metal in it. Suggest removing or at least testing: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=126191
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clamped fins, new member, sick betta?