Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-06-2013, 06:49 PM   #1 
LoriKeet

Question 100% Water Change How To Inquiry

Hello,

This is my third thread on the site, and I must begin by saying this has been an incredibly informative experience. Thank you all so much for your input and graciousness, you've all been terrific. :)

Now for my question:

Context: I've learned today that I'm suppose to change my 1 gallon tank's water twice weekly; once by 50% and the second time by 100%.

I've been doing 50% water changes with a gravel vac, and they don't require me to take my fish out of the water. 100%, I imagine, will require me to take him out.

Question: How can I take Luna out of his aquarium without over stressing him or causing him any harm? I heard that nets can cause slime coat damage, is there a better way?

Please and thank you for the feedback!

Last edited by LoriKeet; 02-06-2013 at 06:50 PM. Reason: 100% water change inquiry how
LoriKeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:52 PM   #2 
majesticstorm

Cup him. If you still have the cup that you got him in, that would work fine. Just scoop him up with the cup. You could even train him to swim in there willingly,
majesticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:59 PM   #3 
LoriKeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by majesticstorm View Post
Cup him. If you still have the cup that you got him in, that would work fine. Just scoop him up with the cup. You could even train him to swim in there willingly,
That method sounds far more preferable. He's such a curious fish, he probably won't give much fuss ether. One of the pet stores I frequent tried to tell me that taking the Betta out under any circumstance would cause too much stress. :P
LoriKeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:08 PM   #4 
majesticstorm

He might make a huge fuss the first time, but he'll get used to it after a few water changes. He'll know the drill :) As long as you acclimate him properly into the new water, he shouldn't be too stressed.

The first time I tried cupping my boy, he was avoiding the cup like it was the plague. But now I submerge the cup next to him and he'll swim inside. Then I give him a pellet for being such a good boy :)
majesticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:53 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

+1. Bettas are clever fish, and, with a good routine, will learn to deal with anything. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:29 PM   #6 
PaulO

Also on the day of the water change wait to feed him until he's in the cup, positive re-enforcement is a good way of training your fish.
PaulO is offline   Reply With Quote