Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2013, 07:39 PM   #1 
finnfinnfriend

Something that annoys me

I have noticed lately that on many "top 10 easiest pets" lists, hermit crabs are on that list. This is just wrong. Hermit crabs, IMO, are one of the hardest aquarium/terrarium animals to keep. They have many specific requirements as far as temperature and humidity, as well as stimulation, such as climbing structures and same species company. That tells me that these lists expect people to buy a small plastic container, maybe give them an extra shell and call it a day. SO WRONG. Ugh.
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:47 PM   #2 
aemaki09

I've never seen one of those lists, but will have to look at them now.

I always thought hermit crabs would be easy to keep, until recently when a friend started talking about buying one and looking up information on them. It really is crazy how much they need that people dont seem to know, nor care, about. BUT thats exactly how people are with bettas too.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:00 PM   #3 
funkman262

Found this in a "10 Great First Pets" list lol
4: Betta Fish

A fish is another classic first pet, provided you pick the right one. Goldfish are the archetypal choice, but they're notoriously fragile and require a fairly elaborate tank-and-filter setup.

Betta fish, however, are happiest in smaller bowls, no filter necessary. Bettas are beautiful fish, often jewel-toned, with long flowing fins. The bowl will need regular cleaning and water changes; consider adding an aquatic snail to your bowl, which will help keep the algae at bay. (They're fun to watch, too.) Your child can have fun decorating the bowl with gravel, plants and other accessories. A word to the wise: This is one pet that's best purchased singly, because two bettas in the same bowl will fight to the death. But a healthy, well-tended betta can live for two or three years.
funkman262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #4 
finnfinnfriend

I think betta fish are the easiest pet, but that doesn't mean they don't need a few things and some basic care. IMO, if you think anything is easier to care for than a betta, then you don't have the proper knowledge on the care of the animal...
Old 02-04-2013, 09:38 PM   #5 
AyalaCookiejar

I think dogs are easier than betta fish. Fish require a lot of knowledge and time to care for properly such as temp - they need a certain consistent temp, dogs do not. They need a varied diet - dogs need one type of food that is not changed or they can get sick. Fish need consistent water changes - dogs need to be let outside to potty and play. About the most time consuming thing you need for a dog is to take them for walks but many of them can just have a large fenced in yard and a lot of room inside depending on their size. I take my dog with me when I walk places and I don't really go out of my way to walk him. Also, dogs and cats you can take to a vet when they get sick. Most of the time, you can't take a fish to a vet and fish medications aren't as widely available as dog and cat medications.

Cats are slightly more difficult because of litter boxes. I volunteer at a cat shelter... Try taking care of 100 of them at once, lol. (Actually, a lot of time goes into both the dogs and the cats at the shelter, but then again, a lot more time would probably go into fish if you had 100 of them.) All the litter boxes at the shelter need cleaned twice a day, the water bowls and food bowls need cleaned with soap twice a day to prevent spreading infection, the floors need mopped every day, also to prevent spreading infection, and the cats have to be cared for in a certain order - the ones in isolation are cared for last because they have sicknesses that they need treated for.

I don't think any animal is "easy to care for". Oh my god, if you want a pet that you have to put little time into caring for, get a freakin' pet rock.

Fish, dogs, cats, hermit crabs... They've all been domesticated. When they are brought into a home, they rely on YOU to take care of them. They cannot survive in a closed system like they can in the wild. Although many (such as my blind fish) cannot survive in either the wild or a tank that is not properly cared for.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:38 PM   #6 
thekinetic

Well because hermit crabs are so cut and dry as far as needs are concerned it makes the easier to take care of with less guess work. As in hamster can use this or lizard may use that, hermit crabs are they need this they need that .

Know what I mean?
thekinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:45 PM   #7 
AyalaCookiejar

Exactly. They all need things so they aren't "easy to care for".
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:52 PM   #8 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
I think dogs are easier than betta fish. Fish require a lot of knowledge and time to care for properly such as temp - they need a certain consistent temp, dogs do not. They need a varied diet - dogs need one type of food that is not changed or they can get sick. Fish need consistent water changes - dogs need to be let outside to potty and play. About the most time consuming thing you need for a dog is to take them for walks but many of them can just have a large fenced in yard and a lot of room inside depending on their size. I take my dog with me when I walk places and I don't really go out of my way to walk him. Also, dogs and cats you can take to a vet when they get sick. Most of the time, you can't take a fish to a vet and fish medications aren't as widely available as dog and cat medications.

Cats are slightly more difficult because of litter boxes. I volunteer at a cat shelter... Try taking care of 100 of them at once, lol. (Actually, a lot of time goes into both the dogs and the cats at the shelter, but then again, a lot more time would probably go into fish if you had 100 of them.) All the litter boxes at the shelter need cleaned twice a day, the water bowls and food bowls need cleaned with soap twice a day to prevent spreading infection, the floors need mopped every day, also to prevent spreading infection, and the cats have to be cared for in a certain order - the ones in isolation are cared for last because they have sicknesses that they need treated for.

I don't think any animal is "easy to care for". Oh my god, if you want a pet that you have to put little time into caring for, get a freakin' pet rock.

Fish, dogs, cats, hermit crabs... They've all been domesticated. When they are brought into a home, they rely on YOU to take care of them. They cannot survive in a closed system like they can in the wild. Although many (such as my blind fish) cannot survive in either the wild or a tank that is not properly cared for.
No offense but I think that is outrageous to say a dog is easier than a betta fish. Dogs require so much more care, equipment, and space. If one thinks that a dog is less work than a betta; they are neglecting and abusing their dog horribly.

That being said, I think you may have misunderstood me. I measure easiness by how much work the animal requires. Also the amount of research that needs to be done about the animal, space needed for the animal, and equipment needed for the animal.

If you are caring for a dog properly, daily care typically includes:

Feeding
watering
walking
letting out to go to the bathroom
brushing
tooth brushing
reinforcement of basic training

Weekly:

Bathing
washing water/food bowls
picking up poop in yard(if any)

Monthly:
Administer flea medication
Administer heartworm medication

Betta fish daily:

Feeding
Checking temperature

Weekly:
Water change

Again, no offence, but it drives me completely nuts when someone says a dog is easier to care for than a betta fish. And I am not talking about other fish or community tanks or sororities, I am talking about just one betta and just one dog.

Last edited by finnfinnfriend; 02-04-2013 at 10:01 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:53 PM   #9 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Funny, I don't disagree, but I kept hermit crabs for a LONG time when I was only like six years old.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:55 PM   #10 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekinetic View Post
Well because hermit crabs are so cut and dry as far as needs are concerned it makes the easier to take care of with less guess work. As in hamster can use this or lizard may use that, hermit crabs are they need this they need that .

Know what I mean?
I am not sure what you mean. Could you explain more? Do you mean hermit crabs have really specific needs?