What size is your tank? 4 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 82 degrees F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqua Culture Betta Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? About 10 pellets a day, divided into three meals

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every few days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50% every few days, 100% weekly
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tetra AquaSafe

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Haven't tested

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? The white of his fins are a bit pink-ish and the tips are dark red
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He sits in the top corner of the tank, near the heater
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Just now. I went to the fish store to pick up a baby girl betta, and I came home to set up her tank and noticed his fins.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Not quite sure what to do. I can't go back out today.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not that I'm aware of. He's been healthy the entire time I've had him.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I've had him for about 2 weeks, but he looks fully grown.

Here are some pictures. He wouldn't stay still once I got the camera, so it was a little hard to get good pictures. The white parts of his fins were pure white before. The only thing I can think of that would have caused this that was done differently was the new heater. I washed it really well and scrubbed it to make sure it was clean before I put it in the tank, and I let it heat while he was floating in it until it was done heating and I knew for sure it was working. He was fine all day until just now though, so I don't know what could have gone wrong. I'm really scared. :( I don't know what I can do from home to help him, other than change his water now and again tomorrow. I don't know what medicines I can get him, if any.

bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:07 AM   #2 
bettacrazygirl86

I plan on running out to the store tomorrow to get him some medicines, but I don't know what medicines I should get.

Could the fin rot be turning the white parts of his fins reddish or would that be ammonia? I just did a water change yesterday, and I haven't had issues with it before. His fins were still pretty white and fin rot free earlier today, until I came home, so I don't think it would hit him that hard... The ammonia, I mean. Could the fin rot be to blame?

What medicines should I get? I don't have much money to spend, but I would like to be able to get enough just in case my girl comes down with fin rot anytime soon too.

Also, is this for sure fin rot? I believe it is, as it's only on the tips of his fins. Could it be anything else?
Old 02-07-2013, 01:56 AM   #3 
Afayed

Looks like it could be maybe the onset of fin rot, though was his temp different before the new heater?? It could be completely stress related :)

I would suggest using AQ salt to reduce stress and clean up any nasties he might have :)

Petsmart and petco have them for like 5 bucks at most~

Good luck!!!
Afayed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:41 AM   #4 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afayed View Post
Looks like it could be maybe the onset of fin rot, though was his temp different before the new heater?? It could be completely stress related :)

I would suggest using AQ salt to reduce stress and clean up any nasties he might have :)

Petsmart and petco have them for like 5 bucks at most~

Good luck!!!
How much should I give him?

His tank used to be 76-78 degrees, but now it's 82 with the new adjustable heater. Could that be why? He's just freaked out because it was cold before and now it's hotter? I made sure he acclimated fine before I put him in. :( Poor baby.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:59 AM   #5 
Stone

I would lower the temp to about 80 and keep an eye on his fins for a day or 2 and just be ready with a qt tank and AQ salt, fin rot usually looks black on the edge
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:00 AM   #6 
bettaboyshiva

AQ salt, [Life guard by Tetra] or [fungus cure by API] or [Fungus clear by tetra] also [Melafix / primafix by API]...anyone of these would be good to use but becareful with API products they tend to be very concentrated so becareful how you give your dosage. Make sure to do a total water change and clean tank throughly ( if you have another clean housing to put your fish that would be great not to worry if all you have is a one gallon jar or smaller use it to treat fish). Hope your fish does welll soon! :)
bettaboyshiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:04 AM   #7 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone View Post
I would lower the temp to about 80 and keep an eye on his fins for a day or 2 and just be ready with a qt tank and AQ salt, fin rot usually looks black on the edge
I just don't want him to get any worse since this was already so sudden. I'll turn it down to 80 and do a partial water change, then let him go back into the tank. I cupped him in new water which I just changed again and I'm letting him float in his tank for the warmth.

How much AQ salt do I use per gallon and how often should I do water changes? How much water per change?
Old 02-07-2013, 07:08 AM   #8 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaboyshiva View Post
AQ salt, [Life guard by Tetra] or [fungus cure by API] or [Fungus clear by tetra] also [Melafix / primafix by API]...anyone of these would be good to use but becareful with API products they tend to be very concentrated so becareful how you give your dosage. Make sure to do a total water change and clean tank throughly ( if you have another clean housing to put your fish that would be great not to worry if all you have is a one gallon jar or smaller use it to treat fish). Hope your fish does welll soon! :)
I'll look for those while I'm out. Hopefully they'll have those.

I don't have anything but his 4 gallon tank and his cup. The 3 gallon I got most recently has my little girl in it. I'm watching her closely to make sure she doesn't develop fin rot too.

Would the packages have the dosage on them?
Old 02-07-2013, 08:18 AM   #9 
bettaboyshiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettacrazygirl86 View Post
I'll look for those while I'm out. Hopefully they'll have those.

I don't have anything but his 4 gallon tank and his cup. The 3 gallon I got most recently has my little girl in it. I'm watching her closely to make sure she doesn't develop fin rot too.

Would the packages have the dosage on them?

Yes the dosage is on the package, you need not get all these meds but if you do get the lifeguard by tetra that would be somthing you wanna hold on too because this treats a wide range of diseases, parasites and bacterial/fungal infections. As i said before if you have a one gallon tank/container to treat him it will be good you dont need a 3 or 5 gallon tank to treat him he willl be fine in a one gallon or a lil bit smaller...you will use less medication also. his treatment would last just about a week or less.
bettaboyshiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:29 AM   #10 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaboyshiva View Post
Yes the dosage is on the package, you need not get all these meds but if you do get the lifeguard by tetra that would be somthing you wanna hold on too because this treats a wide range of diseases, parasites and bacterial/fungal infections. As i said before if you have a one gallon tank/container to treat him it will be good you dont need a 3 or 5 gallon tank to treat him he willl be fine in a one gallon or a lil bit smaller...you will use less medication also. his treatment would last just about a week or less.
Basically everyone suggested AQ salt, so I got a box of it. He's looking a little better and more active today, so I'm going to do a water change and add in the AQ salt. Hopefully he'll get better and go back to his normal self! Thanks, guys. :)