betta fish
View Poll Results: Prime or StressCoat?
Prime 12 75.00%
StressCoat 4 25.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-06-2013, 08:37 PM   #1 
White Mage

Prime or StressCoat?

Which one is better, Prime or Stress Coat? I noticed Stress Coat heals, so would it be better just to use that one instead of Prime? (plus it smells better) or is prime just a better conditioner?
White Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:00 PM   #2 
Sparrowhawk

I use Prime, and if any fins need healing I add Seachem's Stress Zyme on top of the Prime. I did have API's Stress Coat, but it doesn't go a long way when you're dealing with a tailbiter as well as two fish that are just fine, so I like the combo I've got going. Also, Prime detoxifies ammonia for 48 hours (?) so that's great too. Stress Coat is still great though, I quite liked it when I had it, but yeah.
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #3 
registereduser

subscribing
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:51 PM   #4 
Bombalurina

I have nothing against StressCoat, but Prime is more powerful and in a place as expensive as here, I need value for money. :) If there is an injury, I use IAL.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:27 AM   #5 
Otterfun

ok I am the only voting for Stress Coat +...
Well.. I am a fan of Prime. But if my betta is sick it will be Stress Coat because I have to do 100% WC for the QT tank anyways.

I am cycling my 5g planted tank with golden apple snail, 4 amano shrimps. They are doing fine, so SC+ is not really applicable for me for now. At this time, I am using PRIME for the 5g tank. But if there is a fish in the tank, I'd do 50/50 Prime & SC+
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:00 AM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I use Prime. You only have to use 2 drops per gallon.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:33 AM   #7 
Myates

I prefer Prime.. I have used Stress Coat for a couple decades with no issues, but I don't like to use it as the main conditioner.. regular stress coat doesn't remove/detoxifies ammonia, but Stress Coat+ does change ammonia into the safe ammonium.

I use Stress Coat mainly when I get new fish.. add in a drop or two to help soothe them. Also when I do water changes on fish that are particularly stressed during a change. Also if a fin is injured I will add in a couple drops along with regular water changes.

Some fish have a bad reaction to the Stress Coat due to how it sometimes will cause excess slime coating, etc.

Last edited by Myates; 02-07-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:52 AM   #8 
White Mage

So basically, use Prime but keep StressCoat handy for ripped fins/stressed out fish? lol
White Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:23 PM   #9 
Shadyr

I have both Prime is going to be more bang for the buck since it takes so little. StressCoat+ is what I usually use though.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #10 
LittleBettaFish

I usually use Seachem Prime. The one time I switched to the API brand the cycle in my goldfish tank (that had been running for around three years) crashed. Don't know if it was coincidence or not but it made me a little wary.

Because Prime can be expensive here, I have started to use an Australian brand called SupaChlor, which is essentially the same concentration as Prime, massively cheaper and doesn't contain formaldehyde. Have not noticed any difference in the behaviour of my fish since starting it.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote