Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: Prime or StressCoat?
Prime 12 75.00%
StressCoat 4 25.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-07-2013, 01:52 PM   #11 
Kithy

It's always best to keep more than one conditioner on hand, I think. I use Prime now but I used Stress Coat + for a long time before that. I love both so I think it's more of a price issue than anything. Prime is great because of that detoxifying thing it does for 24 hours with the ammonia and nitrites.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:11 PM   #12 
Kuronue

Location: Chautauqua County, NY - My mind is in my fish tank usually
I use prime as a conditioner. Since using it I haven't had any problems with fin rot.

I keep a bottle of stress coat on hand, for when I have new fish in quarantine, but I don't use it as a water conditioner though as it doesn't do much for amonia.

I've tried various water conditioners, and prime wins hands down. May cost more, but I feel its worth it in the long run.
Kuronue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:48 PM   #13 
DizzyD

I was under the impression that API's Stress coat was more of a healing product than a water conditioner. Seachem has their own version of this called StressGuard, but to compare prime and stress coat is kinda like apples and oranges isn't it? I think Prime is more like API's Ammo lock or Tap water Conditioner. I could be wrong. I've tried to figure it out by reading thought all their products on the company websites, but there are so many its hard to keep straight, Especially API. I don't doubt the usefulness of API's products, matter of fact, I use their test kits exclusively, but it seems that they have multiple conditioners that overlap.

I use the Seachem products mainly because they are less confusing. There are fewer of them. I use Prime to condition the water for water changes, and StressGuard for adding new fish or when moving fish, or when the fish display an unusual symptom.
DizzyD is offline   Reply With Quote