Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-06-2013, 09:30 PM   #1 
Naladari

First Actual Betta

So I messaged here before about my girlfriends husbandry issues and finrot. Basically I scolded her until it was healed... maybe I'm a bad boyfriend...

Anyways I just made sort of a rescue from a Wal-Mart he didnt look too too bad but he had a clamped fin. It was their first new shipment so I picked up one for my sister as well.

I was hoping I could ask you guys being the experts for a first assessment. My tank is pretty baron at the moment.

3 Gal, Filtered with airstone.
Whisper Filter.

Andddd here he is

I'm excited to see how he does, I also have aquarium salt on hand incase of any issues.
He has seemed to think that the best hiding place in the tank is behind the filter and that worries me a bit.
Naladari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:38 PM   #2 
sainthogan

As long as the filter intake is not too strong, hiding behind the filter shouldn't be an issue. If it seems to suck him in a bit, you can put panthose over the intake valve to prevent damage to him. If you don't want him hiding behind it, get him plants (fake or live) with large leaves, and maybe a cave to hide in. Also, did you remember the heater?
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:39 PM   #3 
Bombalurina

To help deal with the finrot, make sure the water is warm (80F) as this can help speed up healing. Keep it super clean, two 50% changes per week. If you are worried about him hiding behind the filter, give him other spots, such as a clean mug or pot, to hide in.

The rot doesn't look too bad - you've caught it nice and early. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:46 PM   #4 
Naladari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
To help deal with the finrot, make sure the water is warm (80F) as this can help speed up healing. Keep it super clean, two 50% changes per week. If you are worried about him hiding behind the filter, give him other spots, such as a clean mug or pot, to hide in.

The rot doesn't look too bad - you've caught it nice and early. :)
I literally got him today and I'm waiting for his color to brighten up a bit before I start adding salts. I need to get a bigger bottle for his water changes. I need to remove him from the tank because of my living space.

What looks like finrot on the picture actually looks blue when looking directly into the tank, is that normal? Id like to know for certain its finrot before I start any treatment because his is brand new, as in just put in the tank today. I need him to get used to his new home before I start any real treatment.\

*edit
As for the heater, I am planning to order one online. Any suggestions? Also I was planning to add silk or real plants. Any suggestions there?
Old 02-06-2013, 10:57 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

Since the most simple treatment for fin rot is clean, warm water, Indian Almond Leaves (if you can get them) and StressCoat, it honestly won't hurt whether he has finrot or not. I'd just go for it. :) Don't worry about adding salt. It can help, but it's not necessary.

Unfortunately I can't answer on the heater as I am in Australia and not familiar with US brands.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:09 PM   #6 
Naladari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Since the most simple treatment for fin rot is clean, warm water, Indian Almond Leaves (if you can get them) and StressCoat, it honestly won't hurt whether he has finrot or not. I'd just go for it. :) Don't worry about adding salt. It can help, but it's not necessary.

Unfortunately I can't answer on the heater as I am in Australia and not familiar with US brands.
Im looking at some small 7.5 watt heaters. I filled a made water bottle with water then added about 3/4s of a teaspoon of aq salt then i poured a few drops of that in. He seems MUCH happier. Im not quite sure why. Were talking a very very small amount of salt here.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:29 AM   #7 
Aluka

Are you using bottled water?

Don't use that, its not good for the betta, use tap water with a dechlorinator you can age it if you want to.

Salt is unnecessary, but helps if u want to use it. Just make sure he is warm and the water is clean. I would change 25% of his water everyday, until the rot is gone.
Aluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:50 AM   #8 
Naladari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluka View Post
Are you using bottled water?

Don't use that, its not good for the betta, use tap water with a dechlorinator you can age it if you want to.

Salt is unnecessary, but helps if u want to use it. Just make sure he is warm and the water is clean. I would change 25% of his water everyday, until the rot is gone.
I used tap, premixed it in a clean Nalgine bottle, then pured in a very small amount. He seems more interested in me than the food I just added though. While doing a 25/50% water change. I would remove water while leaving him in the tank?
Old 02-11-2013, 02:00 AM   #9 
Naladari

Hahah drew, you're not a bad boyfriend<3
Old 02-11-2013, 08:39 AM   #10 
SunnyBettaGirl

Beautiful fish! He'll become less shy as he gets used to you. Just talk to him a lot and let him know he is loved, and he'll come around :)
SunnyBettaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote