Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-07-2013, 12:09 AM   #1 
Karebear13

Need some serious life advice!!!!

So basically I don't know what I want to do with my life and I figured since I don't have a lot of people to talk to about with them caring you guys are the next best thing

Im a fourth year graduating this year and all my life I have wanted to be a dr. but recently it hit me that my passion has always been animals, I love animals and think I would be much happier with a job that involves animals. However I don't want to be a vet. Im considering being a vet technician because I really want to participate is surgical procedures and lab analysis Im a science geek I love that stuff. However, I wanted a job where I can be my own boss. So I was considering being a physical therapist where I can have my own practice and then getting certified for Canine rehabilitation therapy. I can't decide though cause its hard for me to give up surgical procedure type things I just want to do both lol!

any comments from anyone?
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:27 AM   #2 
GoodMorning

go for what you love and enjoy doing, it will be much easier in the end. Picture yourself in that profession and ask if you can see yourself doing it after 10 years, 20 years, 30 years, etc. If the answer is yes, then go for it. Go for the one you will enjoy most, then it'll be more like fun-time instead of "work".
GoodMorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:15 AM   #3 
RoMay

Sometimes you have to work under someone to gain the experiance to work on your own. It's easy to say you want to be on your own; and it's very easy to fail at it. However just because you fail doesn't mean your a failure. Failing is just another step in the path you want to take. Work under someone for a few years, and when you get a hang of it start off on your own.

As for which path to take, well do a job hunt. See which is more in demand and do what your heart tells you. It's easy to say follow your heart till you end up with out a job.
RoMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:01 AM   #4 
Freyja
Banned

I'd remove "heart" and "love" out of the equation. Focus on goals, hard work, and success.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:57 AM   #5 
Karebear13

I really appreciate all the advice and thank you so much for taking the time to write it... means a lot to me. Its nice to know you have someone to talk to.

I guess I will try and job shadow and see how that goes :)
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:26 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:43 PM   #7 
FishFriend9292

Freyja, with all due respect I would have to disagree with you. It's never to late to follow your passion, because that is what makes you happy. I would rather make next to nothing but be passionate about what I do, than make a lot of money but be unhappy. You could start your own business so you can be your own boss. And take this piece of advice wherever you go- Know that life may not always make sense, but if you are happy, then you are in the right place.
FishFriend9292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:11 PM   #8 
Freyja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishFriend9292 View Post
Freyja, with all due respect I would have to disagree with you. It's never to late to follow your passion, because that is what makes you happy. I would rather make next to nothing but be passionate about what I do, than make a lot of money but be unhappy. You could start your own business so you can be your own boss. And take this piece of advice wherever you go- Know that life may not always make sense, but if you are happy, then you are in the right place.
And I have to disagree wth you. Your job does not necessarily have to be something you love. If you can find work and make a good living doing something you enjoy, then you are one of the lucky ones. In the end my job is just that, my job. It allows me to meet my financial obligations and do the things I love. I have no emotional attachment to my job. It neither makes happy nor unhappy. It is irrelevant except for the fact that I need it financially. My life and what I love to do and am passionate about reside outside my job and that's just fine.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:32 PM   #9 
MistersMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freyja View Post
And I have to disagree wth you. Your job does not necessarily have to be something you love. If you can find work and make a good living doing something you enjoy, then you are one of the lucky ones. In the end my job is just that, my job. It allows me to meet my financial obligations and do the things I love. I have no emotional attachment to my job. It neither makes happy nor unhappy. It is irrelevant except for the fact that I need it financially. My life and what I love to do and am passionate about reside outside my job and that's just fine.
I think What was meant is that, since the OP of this thread said she wanted to do something she loves, and that she had a list of things, your comment was misplaced in a way that you were telling her to do something completely different, she had listed jobs, and she loved each, and you said she doesn't have to do any of those, no one has to do anything, but I'd much rather have a job i love also, rather than wake up each morning and think "ah f!ck, i have to go to work now.... Gah, i wish my life was over" because i have a job i like right now, but i still hate going to work, i love communicating with my co-workers, but hate the job itself, do you see what I mean?

If the opportunity came knockin for you to switch jobs, to a one you would completely love, and make just the same pay, wouldn't you take it?
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #10 
Freyja
Banned

I wasn't telling her to do something different or to not do anything. On the contrary I stated that she should focus on something more tangible like hard work, goals, and success rather than abstracts like "heart" and "love". Again, I reiterate that a job does not necessarily have to be something you love, and if you do happen to work -hard work, goals, success- doing what you love, count yourself lucky because for most a job is a job.