Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-07-2013, 10:55 AM   #1 
Naladari

Adding AQ Salt

If you filled a bottle with tapwater added conditioner then added aq salt then let it all mix overnight would it shock the fish to add the mixture?

Bottle is a half liter, with 3/4 of a tsb of aq salt added.
Naladari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:19 AM   #2 
Myates

Slowly add it in.. why are you wanting to use AQ salt for?

Don't have to keep it overnight.. use warm water and stir continuously until salt is dissolved and then add it in slowly. But only use AQ salt for specific treatments..
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:22 AM   #3 
Naladari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Slowly add it in.. why are you wanting to use AQ salt for?

Don't have to keep it overnight.. use warm water and stir continuously until salt is dissolved and then add it in slowly. But only use AQ salt for specific treatments..
New fish, first fish. Looks a bit lethargic wont eat has minor finrot and I have not got my heater yet.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:53 AM   #4 
Myates

Lethargy should be gone when he starts to eat and has heat.. keep in mind temp in tank could easily be 5* cooler than room temp, so keep him in the warmest spot of your house for now.

A lot of new fish won't eat, or won't eat healthily for up to a couple weeks after being brought home.

Rot or self biting of the fins? If it is minor rot I would just keep him in clean water - especially if he seems stressed/lethargic due to malnourishment/stress.. do frequent water changes, about 50% every other day depending upon the tank size.. to help control/remove the fin rot - the aq salt treatment is daily 100% water changes with new salt added each time, which can overly stress an already stressed/compromised fish.

If you feel comfortable with AQ salt, then I would do the 100% every other day to not over stress him, but still give him some salt to help with the rot.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:15 PM   #5 
Naladari

Quote:
Lethargy should be gone when he starts to eat and has heat.. keep in mind temp in tank could easily be 5* cooler than room temp, so keep him in the warmest spot of your house for now.

A lot of new fish won't eat, or won't eat healthily for up to a couple weeks after being brought home.

Rot or self biting of the fins? If it is minor rot I would just keep him in clean water - especially if he seems stressed/lethargic due to malnourishment/stress.. do frequent water changes, about 50% every other day depending upon the tank size.. to help control/remove the fin rot - the aq salt treatment is daily 100% water changes with new salt added each time, which can overly stress an already stressed/compromised fish.

If you feel comfortable with AQ salt, then I would do the 100% every other day to not over stress him, but still give him some salt to help with the rot.
I gave him a half dose to help with the rot and to see if there is any response with his movement, in one day Ive already seen progress with his fins. I actually live in a dormitory so I keep him on my desk, beside my monitor with the heater behind him and computer to the right I figure there is enough heat to keep him going until I can get a heater.
My buddy told me no fish from the walmart I saved him from lives longer than a day. Today is day 2 so I believe I'm making progress already.

Im a bit worried about his clamping, Ive seen his fins open only once or twice I know hes a crowntail...buut he seems to think hes a veil tail

Last edited by Naladari; 02-07-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:35 PM   #6 
Myates

Aww.. poor thing! Not uncommon for fish from Walmart to die within the first couple weeks.. happens quite frequently. Sounds like you are giving him the best you can now, so crossing my fingers it will help. He may be a bit shy as well.. does he have plants (real or fake) in which he can rest in/on and hide if he wishes?

I've had some that have taken days to get used to their new surroundings and being in a bigger tank.. just keep offering him food and give him a little time, hope he starts to perk up soon for you.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:01 PM   #7 
Naladari

Quote:
Aww.. poor thing! Not uncommon for fish from Walmart to die within the first couple weeks.. happens quite frequently. Sounds like you are giving him the best you can now, so crossing my fingers it will help. He may be a bit shy as well.. does he have plants (real or fake) in which he can rest in/on and hide if he wishes?

I've had some that have taken days to get used to their new surroundings and being in a bigger tank.. just keep offering him food and give him a little time, hope he starts to perk up soon for you.
Me too he doesnt have any plants yet, but he does have a little moonrock thing. Its sorta like a ceramic pot with no sharp edges. He seems to like to rest on the filter or rest on the bottom I lowered the filters and the air stones strength cause the current seemed to be bothering him hes perked up a bit but he seems to love just sitting at the bottom coming up for air every now and then....except right now he is flaring at the back wall of the tank and nipping at it.....

Its super depressing seeing him like this. Disregard his tail its curved in this picture so it looks shorter than it actually is lol

Last edited by Naladari; 02-07-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:16 PM   #8 
Myates

Pretty boy.. you may want to remove the air stone.. bettas do not need aeration in the water, and sometimes a current can stress some of them out due to them not being used to moving water. Unless the airstone is a decoration, I would just remove it and see how he does without it. Never know.. he may not like the vibration or the bubbles may scare him.. who knows, some bettas can be picky lol.

Flaring is good.. gets his blood pumping and such. Means he is gaining some strength and courage.

On a side note, I don't see any rot (not that there isn't any.. but based on this picture).. the black edges looks like his normal coloration. He may of bitten off his "spikes" too.. go ahead and keep him in the salt treatment just in case.. no longer than 10 days though :)
Old 02-07-2013, 01:26 PM   #9 
Naladari

Quote:
Pretty boy.. you may want to remove the air stone.. bettas do not need aeration in the water, and sometimes a current can stress some of them out due to them not being used to moving water. Unless the airstone is a decoration, I would just remove it and see how he does without it. Never know.. he may not like the vibration or the bubbles may scare him.. who knows, some bettas can be picky lol.

Flaring is good.. gets his blood pumping and such. Means he is gaining some strength and courage.

On a side note, I don't see any rot (not that there isn't any.. but based on this picture).. the black edges looks like his normal coloration. He may of bitten off his "spikes" too.. go ahead and keep him in the salt treatment just in case.. no longer than 10 days though :)
I cut down the stones bubbles. Removing it all together would be an issue but I can turn it off. ITs just letting up a minimal amount of bubbles right now it doesnt seem to bother him hes swimming to that side of the tank now. Ill try turning it off before I go to class and see if he opens his fis more. Sens i turned down the filter and the bubbles he actually started opening up his is bottom fins when he swims and his dorsal seems to be always at least partially open. Which is a good sign.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #10 
Myates

If he is swimming over there and not shying from it, then let it be.. he can adjust to it. As long as there isn't a strong current making it difficult to swim he should be fine. Keep the bubbles on and judge when you return :)

I only offered if he continued to be shy and clamped, but flaring and now swimming over there.. he's starting to adjust.