Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-07-2013, 02:17 PM   #1 
bettacrazygirl86

Bettas and Ghost Shrimp

I've read that ghost shrimp are good companions for bettas, so I picked up two, one for Patriot and one for my new little girl. I got two different sizes too, conveniently enough. One is super tiny and the other is pretty small, but not as small. I put the super tiny one in with my female betta, as she's super tiny too.

At first, my female had no idea it was even in there, until she saw it move. She creeped up towards him and quickly poked him before speeding away. The poor little shrimp was just like "Wtf" and stayed there, doing his job. She left him alone after that. Just now, I heard a little plop of water and looked over. She was chasing him! I don't think she's being aggressive, because she's kind of slowly swimming after him. She's not swimming as fast as I know she can. I think she's just confused about what he is and wants to play hide and go seek tag with him. She's chasing him again though. She gives up for a while, but when she sees him zipping around,she chases him.

What should I do? Should I leave him in there for now and see if she eventually leaves the poor little guy alone?

The other shrimp is meant to go in with Patriot, but he's come down with a mild case of fin rot. I have the shrimp in a 2.5 bowl while I wait for Patriot to get better. Once he gets better, I'll put the shrimp in. I don't know how he'll react to having a tank mate, but I'm hoping that if I put the shrimp in first after a water change, Patriot won't be quite as much of a bully.

The shrimp was in the tank before my female though, and she's being a big bully! The shrimp seems fine. I've checked on him after she finishes chasing him, and he looks to be okay. Should I leave him be for now, or take him out?
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #2 
MyRainbowBettaFish

some bettas dont mind them, but others do not. Your betta must not like them, you could remove them, otherwise, they will just become a snack.
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:01 PM   #3 
bettacrazygirl86

I might give it one more day and see if she's still picking on him. If she stops, I'll leave him be, but if she's still terrorizing him, I'll take him out.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:39 PM   #4 
Bombalurina

In the end, he's either going to be a nutritious snack or he will learn to swim fast. I have RCS in both my tanks and they learnt pretty quickly to jump when something comes near. :) A good way to help shrimp survive is to give them plenty of live plants and small hiding spaces that bettas can't get into. Java moss is great for shrimp, which is how I managed to breed them in a sorority.

If all is going well, get some more. :) Shrimp are colony critters and like groups.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:47 PM   #5 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
In the end, he's either going to be a nutritious snack or he will learn to swim fast. I have RCS in both my tanks and they learnt pretty quickly to jump when something comes near. :) A good way to help shrimp survive is to give them plenty of live plants and small hiding spaces that bettas can't get into. Java moss is great for shrimp, which is how I managed to breed them in a sorority.

If all is going well, get some more. :) Shrimp are colony critters and like groups.
He has plenty of hiding spots, but there aren't any places he can get into that she can't. xD she's so tiny, she can fit everywhere.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:08 PM   #6 
bettacrazygirl86

So.... He's nowhere to be found. I highly doubt she ate him, but I really can't find him anywhere. I don't know if he's just hard to see, if he's just hiding, of if he's just... gone. o3o;