Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-08-2013, 04:33 PM   #11 
breeglet

Those water change requirements are skewed once it is inhabited with plants, I won't be gravel vacuuming. 20% water changes are fine for a heavily planted filtered tank.

Yes I know how to acclimate.

The white is so small it's hard to tell if it is fuzzy or what. It's not spreading. He only darts if something spooks him. I'm not sure if he's rubbing, if he does anything that remotely resembles rubbing against something it's when he's swimming up and down in one of the corners, which I thought was just him trying to chase something.

Also the patches don't look as bad as yesterday.
breeglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:48 PM   #12 
callistra

What are your water parameters? Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate? I would not assume weekly 20% changes without siphon are enough unless your tank is well established and has been set up a long time and you have tested daily for a while and then weekly to confirm.

Swimming up and down the glass is not rubbing/flashing activity. The pictures are dark so it's hard to tell but based on what I can see and what you have said I would QT and treat with Kanaplex. The Triple Sulfa maybe helpful too, but what you're using also has a chance against Columnaris as long as it's not too aggressive. How long have you been treating in QT now? I would give what you have a chance unless you can find the Kanaplex. I would also do 100% changes every other day in that.

What color is his poop?

Last edited by callistra; 02-08-2013 at 04:51 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:01 PM   #13 
breeglet

This tank is well-established and I do frequent testing. Parameters are 0 across the board with 7.6 pH as stated in the first post.

He's been in QT since yesterday morning. I'm about to do a wc after I finish my snack.

He hasn't pooped yet. He wasn't much of an eater the first 7 or so days that I had him, now he eats his pellets.

The white that's appearing isn't possibly his scales repairing? The patches don't look nearly as scary today as they did yesterday, just that there is a speck of white in two spots.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:17 PM   #14 
breeglet

I've got much clearer pictures now. Light and a camera makes a huge difference... even here in person. This is the best look I've had at what's going on so far. Some of the spots that look like it can be fuzz are just blurs from the cup he's in atm (like in image 3 around his face).

image 1
image 2
image 3
image 4
image 5
Old 02-08-2013, 06:47 PM   #15 
Otterfun

that's what Fred looked like days before he died. His last days were at the bottom of the tank, fins clamped, no appetite, color loss. by the time i got the meds home, he died. i had him in QT with AQ salt, it was day 6 when he died.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:41 PM   #16 
breeglet

I'm sorry for your loss but I hope you realize that did nothing to help me. What was the diagnosis? What meds were you going to use? The patches on Felix look to be improving, so I'm not sure if our situations are similar because you didn't go into much detail.

Last edited by breeglet; 02-08-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:44 PM   #17 
breeglet

I mean, he's not at all behaving like he's sick. Which is why I'm reluctant to add heavy duty meds without a solid idea of what is actually going on. Are those missing scales or ulcerations? etc. etc. I'm not that good at judging because I haven't been around fish for years like a lot of the people on these forums, which I why I posted the situation here.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:32 AM   #18 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeglet View Post
I mean, he's not at all behaving like he's sick. Which is why I'm reluctant to add heavy duty meds without a solid idea of what is actually going on. Are those missing scales or ulcerations? etc. etc. I'm not that good at judging because I haven't been around fish for years like a lot of the people on these forums, which I why I posted the situation here.
mine did not behave like he was sick until the last few days.
i still think it is itch for Fred and yours. But you are the owner, it's up to you how to treat the betta. You can read up on the sticky under disease 1 & 2 and match the symptoms with treatment.

sorry not much help to you...
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:39 AM   #19 
breeglet

Yes I normally do that, he is not showing symptoms of any of the conditions listed in those threads. If his patches continue to heal through today and tomorrow I'll consider it was just missing scales from him rubbing against the driftwood unless someone says something definite about it. Otherwise I'll start with the maracyns. He's eating well, now that he's submerged in garlic juice he eats the pellets without being picky.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:51 AM   #20 
ANHEL123

Wait before you start with Maracyns. If you saying the patches improving i think it better to finish aquarium salt with daily changes in qt. You may even increase the dose of the salt up to 3 tsp/gall. Medications are more stressed for him than aquarium salt, and since you treating him any way finish it first.(again only if he is improving) And if you think he still sick then you can treat with meds.
And i still will recommend to you use siphon. The debris on the bottom of the tank decompose in 72 hrs and will give fish infection. So every one who don't do 100% water changes must to vacuum the gravel. I am working in 2 different offices that has big tanks with a lot of plants . I am always watching the fish guy cleaning it. He always does about 50 % water changes wilt gravel vacuuming. And it really important to rinse the filter in the old water WITH the water changes.
Also i am curious if you need to do large water changes in his main tank since there is bacteria present in that water.....
callistra is knowledgeable to help there...
And also check those links out . It from very knowledgeable person who breeds and treats bettas all her life.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=107771

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758

Last edited by ANHEL123; 02-09-2013 at 11:02 AM.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote