10 gallons-Split with another male
Heated to 78 degrees
Filtered

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day three pellets each

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? twice a month ish
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 1 50% water change and then once a month a 100% water change
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?: Betta safe formula

Water Parameters: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?:" He has an odd transparent 'skin' like tag on his back
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? More sluggish, constantly resting on bottom of tank or close to the surface on a leaf
When did you start noticing the symptoms? A week ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Nope thought it was just him being a little dramatic after the tank cleaning.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Culminaris
How old is your fish (approximately)?: 2 -3 years ish

I will now attempt a picture: I'm pretty sure he just bumped into something and it's scabbing but better safe than sorry.
Attached Images

ChibiShishou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:56 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Have you checked your water parameters? With a 10g filtered tank you're better off doing a weekly 50% water change & not doing 100% water change. Doing a100% water change will most likely kill off any BB you have & keep your tank from stabilizing. I realize your schedule seems to be working as your Bettas are as old as they are. As for the spot on his back it almost looks like a scale coming off, i'd keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get bigger & maybe do more frequent water changes to keep his water cleaner until that spot clears up. His behavior could be age. Someone else may have something else to offer.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #3 
ChibiShishou

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
Have you checked your water parameters? With a 10g filtered tank you're better off doing a weekly 50% water change & not doing 100% water change. Doing a100% water change will most likely kill off any BB you have & keep your tank from stabilizing. I realize your schedule seems to be working as your Bettas are as old as they are. As for the spot on his back it almost looks like a scale coming off, i'd keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get bigger & maybe do more frequent water changes to keep his water cleaner until that spot clears up. His behavior could be age. Someone else may have something else to offer.
Thank you!!
50% weekly could be a good improvement, I used to do 50% weekly but then finals kicked in but I'm sure cleaning will be a good study break in the long run. Ok good I thought it might be lost scale, his tank mate has an annoying habit of attacking new decorations, he took a sizeable chunk out of his noggin attacking his floating log one day. Yup thats the smart one. So sense it looked the same I assumed it would be a scale, but with his behavior of being slow and sleeping all the time.
ChibiShishou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:10 PM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

I would do a water change & see if that makes a difference in his behavior. It's hard to say if its the water without testing it for ammonia, nitrites & nitrates. Is he still eating normally?
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:59 PM   #5 
callistra

Doing larger water changes won't kill off the bb unless they are pouring in untreated cold tap water and shocking the bacteria that way, or rinsing the filter and gravel in tap water. The bacteria lives on the surfaces and filter, not in the water.

However I agree with the rest.. It should however be getting 25-50% weekly change with siphon, and that is assuming it is fully cycled. More if it is not.

It might be a viral infection from lack of water changes. The only cure for this is good water quality, nutrition and time.. also fresh water vitachem will boost the immune system and help.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
transparent