Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-17-2013, 08:28 AM   #11 
Caii

Looking forward to the updates~ your pair is absolutely stunning! ^^
Caii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:31 PM   #12 
Crowntails

Wow, I can't wait to see wait colors this pair will produce. Very beautiful!
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:30 PM   #13 
EvilVOG

Looks nice... i'd say that male is a full on giant. There's a lot of confusion going on about giants, but what we've been able to work out is that the confusion comes from people reading metric measurements as ANSI. Basically calling a 7 CM fish 7 inches instead of converting it to get the actual ANSI measurement of 3 inches.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:27 PM   #14 
louisvillelady

Thanks everybody! I am excited too! These fry are really strong compared to others spawns I have had in the past.

Evilvog I know what you mean. But according to this article The first giants that were introduced was 7 inches long. My copper, Lincoln, is very long, but according to the standards of that article, he is a half giant. I am going to try to get larger bettas, up to 7 inches if I can. If it was done before it can be done again. :) But we will see. I don't see anyone with 7 inch giants. Everyone has 2.5 and up BO measurement. Can't wait to see how these turn out!

http://bettysplendens.com/articles/p...?articleid=936
louisvillelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:45 PM   #15 
valen1014

I know everyone else already said it but... those are some gorgeous fishes!! The frys are gonna look great =]
valen1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:08 PM   #16 
EvilVOG

We had a big discussion on this over at the IBC boards. No one has ever seen one that big outside of a wild (different species).

The article you list is most likely the source of the confusion, as it is mostly a second hand retelling of Dr. Gene Lucas' research. It also includes alot of guesswork, misinformation and speculation based on that research. Dr. Lucas himself purchased the "giant" and bred it, but only went to one generation. He did later publish an article himself based upon his findings, in witch he says the size of the "giant" as 7 CM, not inches.

http://www.bettysplendens.com/articl...articleid=1405

Would have been nice to see the results of someone more research-oriented with more space to explore than myself. It's a shame he didn't continue with it.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:51 AM   #17 
louisvillelady

I agree! I wish he would have continued! So maybe this male is a true Giant you think? He is very big. Even in comparison to the others offered on aquabid. He has a very long body. Not as short and chunky as most giants. I am planning on giving these fry plenty of fresh water, and plenty of room and food. Hoping to get them as big as their full potential will allow. Don't want anything to stunt their growth. I am working on the copper line, but will also be working on a "Giant" line. To see just how big they will get. Using the biggest with the best finnage even if they are not conducive to the copper line. Thank you for the information. Wonder how big a half giant is then?
Old 02-19-2013, 11:44 PM   #18 
EvilVOG

Honestly i think the term "half-giant" was another creation of the confused writer of that first article. Additionally i personally think of "Giant" more of a sales term anyway. It's kind of like calling someone 6'8" tall a giant, or someone 5' tall a dwarf. Outside of a couple rare genetic conditions, and gland/ development irregularities, people are just tall or short. While the giants we have today are bigger than a normal betta, it's really not by all that much and I believe it's pretty much the same as two tall parents producing tall offspring.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:54 PM   #19 
louisvillelady

Yes, while that is true, there needs to be some type of label for the ones that are significantly larger than the normal size bettas. Especially when you are buying off line. To say that a betta is "big" is just a relative term."Big" compared to what? A lot of people would abuse that and argue that they did not falsely advertise when they actually did. There should be some type of standards established to confirm what is a "giant" and what is a "half giant" if that size exists. Yes it is just the same as two tall parents producing tall offspring. If it weren't, then they would not be betta splendens, but another type of betta. That is why there is a need for a label for the larger bettas, with a set standard. jmo
Old 02-20-2013, 06:24 AM   #20 
peachii

Your fish are gorgeous! My boyfriend just got me a 29 gallon for valentine's day since I love my girls so much. It's going to be a live planted sorority, with that said, I'd be highly interested in a few girls from your spawn, especially any larger sized ones. My 3 girls in there now are so tiny looking and I would love to be able to spawn our King Elvis with a larger female.

How much do you plan to sell them for or do you? Pretty please with sugar on top....
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote