Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-03-2013, 08:58 AM   #1 
cdouglas93

Smile Drift Wood Problems

I recently got some new drift wood off of my beach and now that I've properly treated it I can't get the wood to stop floating. Any advice? This is my first time using drift wood.
cdouglas93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #2 
Bounce

We're in the same boat, cdouglas. I just bought a new piece of driftwood that I'm sure is not going to sink on its own. I've always used Malaysian driftwood which is dense and will sink automatically, but the advice I was given was to place the driftwood in a large enough container that it can be completely submerged and weigh it down with rocks until it becomes waterlogged. This can take a while though.

I know for a fact that I'm not going to have the patience to go that route so I plan to get a piece of slate, drill a hole through it and then screw it to the bottom of the driftwood. Then bury the slate in the gravel to keep the driftwood in place.

Another option I've heard of (which sounds the most tedious) is to tie fishing line around the driftwood and then attach the fishing line to suction cups and press the suction cups to the bottom glass in your aquarium. But this sounds way too difficult to me. I hate trying to tie fishing line. lol
Bounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:20 AM   #3 
cdouglas93

Thank you so much for the advice. I was able to find an old trashcan that I just put trash bag in and after putting the drift wood in there filled it to the top with water and put the heavy lid on it. The trash can is one of those older trashcans with a ashtray on top so the lid is pretty heavy. I then put a big box of books on top of it. haha. Hopefully it works. How many days do u think it will take before I can put them back in my tank?
Old 02-03-2013, 11:34 AM   #4 
valen1014

I soaked mine for some months (not sure if I could've done it in less time, I just didn't check on them until recently) and now they sink. I tied them to a small sheet of canvas with rubber bands and used gravel to weight the canvas down.
valen1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:47 PM   #5 
cdouglas93

I talked to the lady at the petstore today and she said it took her up to 7 months at one point to get a piece of driftwood to sink. :(
Old 02-05-2013, 09:53 AM   #6 
tekkguy

If it's small enough to boil, get a big pot and a big bucket of ice water. Boil it for several minutes, and then immerse it in the ice water immediately. Do this a lot, until you get sick of it, and let it soak a while again. Then do the boil/shock thing again.

The boiling will open up the pores in the wood, and the ice bath will close them really quickly, trapping water inside much faster.

This will also get rid of a lot of the tannins in the wood, which may or may not be a good thing depending on you perspective!
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:11 AM   #7 
cdouglas93

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkguy View Post
If it's small enough to boil, get a big pot and a big bucket of ice water. Boil it for several minutes, and then immerse it in the ice water immediately. Do this a lot, until you get sick of it, and let it soak a while again. Then do the boil/shock thing again.

The boiling will open up the pores in the wood, and the ice bath will close them really quickly, trapping water inside much faster.

This will also get rid of a lot of the tannins in the wood, which may or may not be a good thing depending on you perspective!
That sounds like a brilliant idea. Thanx