Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-22-2013, 03:04 PM   #1 
iGoatfish

Mean egg eater

I have a very beautiful male plakat that I have tried to breed three times. All three time he has niped the heck out of the girl then he eats all the eggs by day three. I have tried feeding while he is tending to the nest but he dose not seem to interested his regular food. He likes to sneak up on the femail wile she hiding and take a chunk of fin. Any one have any tips to keep him from beeting the girl and not eating the eggs?
iGoatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:46 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

Generally there is always some violence in betta courtship. I have a pair where the male is missing one of his ventrals and the female has had both nipped nearly clean off and both fish still come back for more when about to spawn.

A healthy and conditioned fish should be able to handle a moderate amount of fin/scale damage. It's pretty much expected that either one or both fish will sustain some injuries while spawning.

However, to minimise the risk, it is best to only release the female when she is ready to spawn. If you release her too early the male will generally bully or attack her. A willing female I have found will generally stand her ground or give the male a taste of his own medicine. My males have always chased and nipped females that fled because they were not quite ready.

As to egg eaters, I don't really know how to prevent that. The three times I spawned my splendens successfully he ate all the eggs and I haven't tried doing it since.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:17 PM   #3 
iGoatfish

Your probably right on the releasing to early it usuly takes a day or two before my fish spawn. Just need to a way to keep from eating the eggs mybe try some live food while he is nesting? Idk?
Old 01-22-2013, 04:34 PM   #4 
LittleBettaFish

I know if the male is a real bad egg eater that some people just remove him all together and try to artificially hatch the eggs. You might not have a very good hatch rate, but at least you might get some fry out of it.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:33 PM   #5 
levy

Hi I am a breeder ones he eats the eggs we put him up for sale eaters do not stop eating
levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:28 PM   #6 
Myates

Not necessarily true.. they eat for any number of reasons - eggs aren't fertilized or died, the male feels there may not be enough food/space for the fry once hatched, etc. But many many breeders have successfully used a male who has eaten eggs a couple times in the past, with no problem on other attempts. We don't know exactly why they eat their eggs, but they have a reason for it..
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:35 AM   #7 
iGoatfish

I'm off tomarrow so I think I'll try the natural method one last try or maybe intervene at some point. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:01 AM   #8 
iGoatfish

Well the spawn went excilent the femail did not suffer any major damage. Went with a ten gal with heavy water plants right down the middle so the male and femail could not see each other. Rased the water temp from 78 to 82 (tip from oldfishlady) and on que the male started making his extra large nest. With in an hour the fish where embraceing. The female produced a large amount of eggs but was eating them and not helping the male but still about 200 eggs in the nest. 24hrs later every thing looked fine still plenty of eggs in his nest. I then went to work for a few hours to come back to a empty nest and a fat betta :( So what did I learn a planted devider will help keep your female some what safe from an overly aggressive male. And two: my male will start eatting his eggs about 24 hours after he spawn. So next time i am going to remove at the 24hr mark. My question for the experienced breeders out there is do you think the nest and eggs will make it the last 24 hrs or so without the male?
Mahalo for your suggestions.
iGoatFish
Old 01-27-2013, 09:19 AM   #9 
Sena Hansler

Actually, levy, I have males who ate the eggs. I bred them again and they had no problem... That was with a different female, and so I concluded the past females to be duds.

The eggs should be fine. In the first 24 hours, the male should be moving the eggs around to avoid fungus. Then after that point, they may start to hatch or take a little longer (mine usually hatch 18-32 hours after being placed in the nest). I've never had problems removing males when the fry were beginning to hatch.

Have you been using the same female for each attempt?
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:47 AM   #10 
iGoatfish

Three different females and this was my fourth try. And it seems right around the 24hr mark is when he turns from father to baby killer! Maybe when the eggs start to wiggle it triggers something in him to feed. I really want to breed him do to both of there size. Should produce some extra large fish!

Tags
breeding, egg eater