Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 08:35 AM   #1 
Little Leaf

Location: In the wilderness! and my house sometimes. IT'S AWESOME, RIGHT?! *Wolf howl*
Exclamation What's going on?!

I have no idea what is happening to King Dedede. he swims as if he is crazy or something, and when he slows down and swims, his tail seems to stick up and drag him up (guessing something's wrong with the swim bladder?) to the top of the tank. later, he swims in a infinity sign (its a 8 on it's side) and goes to swim UPSIDE DOWN sometimes when he reaches the bottom part of his swim. I'm kind of worried because this happened when my dad put King Dedede from the 1g to the 5g and it might've been temperature shock. I'll fill out the form, too.

Housing
What size is your tank? King Dedede's in the 5g
What temperature is your tank? 82F
Does your tank have a filter? yup
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no ;-;
Is your tank heated? yup... but with a light...
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 9 other fish!!

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellets and sometimes flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? everyday, twice
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? %50-%100
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? only water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: N/A
Nitrite:N/A
Nitrate:N/A
pH:N/A
Hardness:N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? it hasn't changed at all
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? swimming pretty awkwardly in the infinity sign and going upside down sometimes
When did you start noticing the symptoms? last night, 1:00AM
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no
Does your fish have any history of being ill? yes, fin rot once
How old is your fish (approximately)? N/A...
Old 02-10-2013, 08:53 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

You have 10 fish in a 5g tank? I hope you are doing water changes very frequently like 3-4 a week. That is too many fish for a tank that size IMO. You don't mention what the tank mates are but I would bet your Betta is stressed out from being in such a small space with tank mates. I would either move the tank mates out or put him into a tank alone. I would get the water tested with a liquid test kit if that's not possible I'd do at least a 50% water change.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:02 AM   #3 
Laki

I hope the tank mates are not those goldfish your family bought for the holiday you celebrate....
His listing and abnormal behavior is because the water is poisoned with ammonia.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:11 AM   #4 
Little Leaf

Location: In the wilderness! and my house sometimes. IT'S AWESOME, RIGHT?! *Wolf howl*
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
You have 10 fish in a 5g tank? I hope you are doing water changes very frequently like 3-4 a week. That is too many fish for a tank that size IMO. You don't mention what the tank mates are but I would bet your Betta is stressed out from being in such a small space with tank mates. I would either move the tank mates out or put him into a tank alone. I would get the water tested with a liquid test kit if that's not possible I'd do at least a 50% water change.
I know it's too many fish. my dad forces me to take care of my fish and I'm gonna be forced to take care of a bird soon. also, I forgot to mention that i have a mystery snail.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:11 AM   #5 
Little Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
I hope the tank mates are not those goldfish your family bought for the holiday you celebrate....
His listing and abnormal behavior is because the water is poisoned with ammonia.
it's not the goldfish.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:15 AM   #6 
shellieca
Reference Team

Unless you can lessen the stock in the tank there's nothing I can suggest to help your Betta. You'll be able to keep them somewhat healthy with very frequent water changes but they'll just be surviving not really thriving. Somebody else may be able to offer you something. Its just too much for a 5g.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:17 AM   #7 
Little Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
Unless you can lessen the stock in the tank there's nothing I can suggest to help your Betta. You'll be able to keep them somewhat healthy with very frequent water changes but they'll just be surviving not really thriving. Somebody else may be able to offer you something. Its just too much for a 5g.
great now i feel like the worst fishkeeper that ever existed.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:43 AM   #8 
Sena Hansler

I know this will sound cruel, but because of your problem with your parents over and over and OVER... Euthanize your other fish. Tell them the fish died because THEY killed them because the tank is too small. And tell them you don't want more fish. More fish come in, euthanize. I am suggesting this because it is a lot more humane that making everyone suffer including your betta. I am surprised he has lasted this long to be honest... You aren't the worst fish keeper, but your parents are getting closer to the worst role models on earth.

Clove oil: mom and dad might have some in the bathroom, if they ever have tooth aches. Use it.

I really don't want to mention the next one, since you're just young... But smashing with any blunt object, is another method. Gruesome, and I can't do it... But a way to do it, is place them in a bag with minimal water, put the bag into another bag, make sure there's no air in there, wrap with paper towel, smash, and throw away. Don't look at it.

Or find someone who wants fish to feed their bigger fish. It's also seen as cruel, but if I had a choice between swimming a mile in bleach (ammonia) or being eaten by a shark... I'd head for the shark x.x
Old 02-10-2013, 09:54 AM   #9 
Little Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
I know this will sound cruel, but because of your problem with your parents over and over and OVER... Euthanize your other fish. Tell them the fish died because THEY killed them because the tank is too small. And tell them you don't want more fish. More fish come in, euthanize. I am suggesting this because it is a lot more humane that making everyone suffer including your betta. I am surprised he has lasted this long to be honest... You aren't the worst fish keeper, but your parents are getting closer to the worst role models on earth.

Clove oil: mom and dad might have some in the bathroom, if they ever have tooth aches. Use it.

I really don't want to mention the next one, since you're just young... But smashing with any blunt object, is another method. Gruesome, and I can't do it... But a way to do it, is place them in a bag with minimal water, put the bag into another bag, make sure there's no air in there, wrap with paper towel, smash, and throw away. Don't look at it.

Or find someone who wants fish to feed their bigger fish. It's also seen as cruel, but if I had a choice between swimming a mile in bleach (ammonia) or being eaten by a shark... I'd head for the shark x.x
...okay...
Old 02-10-2013, 09:58 AM   #10 
Perry the platypus

That's the best way. Make sure to do it without any pain and since your parents are not so good fish keepers then it's all you can do.

Last edited by Perry the platypus; 02-10-2013 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Help Little Leaf
Closed Thread

Tags
;-;, drama, extreme situation, overstocked tank