Hey guys, I plan to rescue a Betta some time after Pi's fin rot clears up and after I set up another 10 gallon divided. I know rescuing shouldn't be taken lightly, so I want to ask these questions:
1. Will the following items do for a rescue kit?
* Stress coat
*Indian almond leaves
*Jungle fungus care
*2 gallon petco kritter keeper with heater to function as a hospital tank
Is there anything else I'd need?
2. I've heard that I should keep the rescue's food away from the healthy fishie's food so there's no cross-contamination. Is this true? I know that I'm supposed to keep the net separate FOR SURE. Is there anything else I should keep seperate?
3. Would it be a good idea to have some sort of hide for the fish? I'd want something easily accessible, something easy to replace if I have to.
4. Are there any illnesses I should stay away from? Ich? Columnaris? Dropsy?
5. If I plan to get the fish free or discounted from the store, how should I go about doing it?
6. Is there anything special I should know about transporting the fish?
7. How long should I acclimate? Regular? Longer? Shorter?
8. How should I go about disinfecting the hospital tank after the fish is healed or dies?
9. I should probably go and learn all about disease and treatment. (okay, not probably, definitely.) Any extra tips on this?
10. is there ANYTHING else I should know about rescuing?? I want to be prepared as possible. Is there anyone here who I should talk to?
I'm sorry for the long post and all of these questions, but, as stated earlier, I know rescuing shouldn't be taken lightly. I know that how I go about rescuing is a matter of life and death for the fish. I'll be prepared if it dies. I won't expect too much.
Help is GREATLY appreciated.