Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-08-2013, 12:50 AM   #1 
ChickADee85

Smile New to the forum question about breeders.

Hey guys I am new to this forum. And I wanted to ask your opinion if local pet stores are ok to find good quality breeders? Any input would be much appreciated.
ChickADee85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:20 AM   #2 
aemaki09

Depends on what you would want to do with the babies.
If they would be pets, I dont think breeding pet store fish would be a problem...
BUT - if you want NICE fish that you could send to shows or sell on AB, you need to start with quality fish.

If the fish aren't worth it to the breeder to go anywhere other than a petstore, that means they are the breeders cull quality fish. You dont know the genetics behind the fish, so you dont know what will pop up in a spawn. You could have red fish and end up with a blue marble or something completely random.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:28 AM   #3 
ChickADee85

I am looking for show quality fish but I am quite picky about what I want...Can you suggest some good places to start looking?
Old 02-08-2013, 02:05 AM   #4 
aemaki09

Aquabid.com would be the place to go. They have some truly amazing bettas of all different tail types. eBay has some good ones as well. You could also look on the IBC members list (you will have to be a member to get on their group and to show) and see if there are any local or nearby breeders around you.
There are a couple of decent Facebook groups as well, betta bids USA (or something close to that name) is a good one, but they sell for more than they are worth on there pretty often.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:47 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

A Betta either meets standards or it doesn't....IMO/E using pet shop Betta for breeders are fine-but as posted....you won't know what you will get using mystery genetics and it might take several generations to fix things and/or reach goals.

If your goal is to show...join the IBC, get a mentor and a breeding pair from a breeder. And while aquabid has some really pretty fish...IMO-most are just that...pretty and not any different than starting with pet shop fish-unless they are sold by breeders that show in the IBC.

Depending on your goals, how much time and money you want to invest-I personally don't see anything wrong with starting out with either pet shop or aquabid Bettas-

Look for a pair that are as close to standards you can find and that complement each others faults.
First you need to know and understand the IBC standard they are judged against- since showing is one of your goals.

If you don't want to invest a lot of time in creating your own line using mystery genetic. Go straight to the source....An established breeder in the IBC....Personally, I think half the fun is creating your own line from scratch-but that is not for everyone.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:42 PM   #6 
ChickADee85

Thanks for all your help everyone what is the full name of IBC? I saw some really pretty ones on Aquabid are they still show quality?
Old 02-08-2013, 07:59 PM   #7 
ChickADee85

Oh,it looks like you have to pay just for a membership at IBC? :(
Old 02-08-2013, 08:10 PM   #8 
aemaki09

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickADee85 View Post
Oh,it looks like you have to pay just for a membership at IBC? :(
Yes, but trust me its worth it!