Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-08-2013, 12:12 AM   #1 
facelessxfacade

Exclamation Am I just being a paranoid Betta parent, or is something wrong?

I am completely new to this site and new to owning Betta fish so forgive me if something similar has been posted. I am bit worried at the moment about my Betta. I did read up a little before purchasing one of the lovely little fish, but am still learning proper care.

I bought Zeus on Tuesday at Petco. He is in 2.5 gallon tank, no filter... but he does have a heater and thermometer (water is around 80 degrees F currently). I also bought a air stone/bubble stone. I have both live and silk plants and a light overhead. The water has been conditioned. I feed him flake food once a day (in the morning). He has a healthy appetite so far.

I don't know if I am just being paranoid, or if something is wrong. Overall, he has seems pretty happy and energetic. If I walk over to his tank, he will swim over to greet me. But tonight I've noticed that he will just sit/rest at the bottom of his tank for certain amounts of time before swimming around for a bit, or going to the top to blow bubbles. Is this normal? Is he just lounging? I don't notice any discoloration. His back fin is bit tattered, but it was that way when I brought him home. Some of the fins are clear-ish white on the edges, but it looks more like new fin growth than finrot. I could be wrong.
facelessxfacade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:42 AM   #2 
Saphira101

Nothing sounds wrong, but pictures are helpful just to be sure. Although, I'd suggest switching him to pellet food. flake food has been known to contain whole fish bones in them, which are VERY dangerous to the fish, and can potentially kill them. The highest quality brands are New life spectrum (the better one) and Omega one. (second best.)
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:26 AM   #3 
AyalaCookiejar

It sounds like his fins are probably just his natural coloring. If he's active and responsive, I wouldn't worry too much as long as he isn't excessively sitting at the bottom and not moving. My boys seem to like to drift along the substrate and rest their tails sometimes.
As time passes and you've had him longer, you will start to notice what is normal for him and what is not. If he does that occasionally but doesn't seem to get worse or develop other symptoms, he's probably just resting his tail. If he has long, flowing fins, I wouldn't be surprised.

Also, do you have some tall plants/decor for him to rest on near the surface?
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:53 AM   #4 
facelessxfacade

First of all, thank you so much for taking the time to reply! It means a lot to me and Zeus. Sometimes I worry too much. I just didn't know if it was normal behavior for a Betta to lounge/rest on the bottom of tank for certain amounts of time. He doesn't lean to the side or not that I've noticed yet.

I bought both pellets and flake food when I purchased Zeus. He didn't seem too fond of the pellet food the Petco employee suggested, but gobbled down the pinch of flake I fed him this morning. I will definitely try the brands of pellet food you've suggested though. I will drop by the store tomorrow afternoon. Thanks for the advice!

I am going to attach a photo of Zeus, or attempt to at least. It was taken with my camera phone, so the quality isn't as good.

He doesn't have any decor such as a cave in his aquarium yet, but I do plan on investing in something. He does have tall plants he can hide in/on though. I was thinking of getting him a Marimo Moss ball too. I am planning to change the gravel and glass beads for sand as well since I heard that is bad for his fins.

I will just continue to monitor him. He's such a sweetie and I want to make sure he's happy and healthy.
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2013, 03:05 AM   #5 
Katmassive

The gravel is bad?
Katmassive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:11 AM   #6 
facelessxfacade

I am not entirely sure, Katmassive? I bought the white gravel and glass beads for decorative reasons mainly and thought they complimented his coloring nicely. He'd stand out against the white and green. But I've been reading through threads that it could harm their long fins? I am little bummed about it, because I like the way the gravel.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:27 AM   #7 
Katmassive

Merh I have gravel and marble glass beads I've seen plenty people,have them it should be fine I doubt the glass has the surface to cause damage .. Most of my gravel is covered by beads maybe you need more beads ..?

I know for a fact the gravel is awesome with my filter
Katmassive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:22 AM   #8 
RoMay

Ha ha it's okay to be paranoid, both my bettas do that to me too. Bettas are naturally lazy creatures when there not dancing around being goof balls. So long as you don't see any abnormal behavior (for him) do not worry so much. Try getting him a nice sized leaf that he can rest on. Or make him a hammoc he can lay in. Decorations work as well, girl loves to rest on the fake sakura plant, while my other girl loves laying on the glass gems under her bridge. OH BTW caves are good fun for them too.
RoMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:28 PM   #9 
waterdog

There is a difference. Your not paranoid, you care!!!!!!!!!!!!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:50 PM   #10 
AyalaCookiejar

Zeus is very pretty :)
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote