While a gumball machine may look cool, most artistic designs for Betta fish tanks are more harmful than beneficial to the fish. A good tank would be one that covers the animal's needs. If you could find a gumball machine that allows for each and every point below, then it can be a suitable home:
Betta fish are required to have:
1. At least 1 gallon of water with frequent water changes.
2. A heater that can provide a steady temperature, a need that is not found in many cheap ones that fit into small tanks.
3. Hiding places in order to not feel stressed, such as the use of a cave and/or silk plants.
4. Plenty of air and surface access (since they go to the surface for air sometimes), which requires long horizontal spaces. Should there be no access to air, the fish will drown.
5. A thermometer to monitor water temperature.
6. Room to exercise.
7. A day/night schedule, provided by an artificial or natural light source, though tanks should never be placed in direct sunlight.